a match made in denial part 1

a/n: welcome to a new au! well, i say new. it's a high school au. contains unsympathetic patton and sympathetic deceit and remus. 

if you haven't seen it yet, please read the announcement about the new username before you read this, it's pretty important!

chapter 1- cupid

"okay, let me see... i'll have to check this out, but i think i've found the one for her. okay, i'll call you back, honey. love you!" roman set his phone down on the desk, leaning back with a sigh. "i love doing this, but it's tough sometimes, right, princess?" he stretched a hand towards the fluffy cat curled up on his desk, who surveyed him regally before miaowing softly and letting him stroke her. "back to work then, i guess." roman sighed, turning back to the pages of messy notes in his sprawling handwriting spread out across the desk. just as he was about to continue his matchmaking, his mother screamed up from downstairs. "roman! remy's here!" as if to punctuate her sentence, she let out a loud sigh, interrupted by remy's footsteps echoing up the stairs. "hey, girl," they greeted, flinging roman's door open and throwing themself on the bed. standing up and dropping his pen, roman shut the door and joined remy on the bed, knowing he wouldn't get anything done while they were there. "matchmaking again, cupid?" remy asked, shifting and stretching on the bed like a cat. "trying to," roman yawned back. "by the way, how'd that date go last week?"

"yeah, alright, he was... nice," remy started, hardly trying to sound enthusiastic before roman cut them off with a knowing look. "you're not going to see him again, are you?"

"i have a reputation to keep, honey!" remy exclaimed, falling back onto the many cushions and plushies on roman's bed. "if i'm gonna settle, it can't be for nice! i can't go for any less than astounding, babes."roman rolled his eyes, used to remy's diva tendencies after years of friendship. "well, maybe i'll find you someone someday." smirking, remy twisted around on the bed, stretching like a cat again. "we'll have to find you someone first, babe. let the matchmaker find his match." flopping onto his back, roman snorted. "come on, rem. there's a reason i only set up other people and not myself- who'd want to be with me?"

as someone dropped their lunch tray onto his table, roman's head snapped up. remy always met roman a little late at lunch, so he wasn't expecting anyone yet. standing across from roman was a kid he'd spoken to maybe once or twice in his school life- an art kid with messy purple bangs covering his pale face, scrawny frame drowning in his oversized black hoodie. roman tried to remember his name- it started with a v... "virgil?" refusing to meet roman's eyes, virgil muttered, "is this seat taken?" roman shook his head, and virgil pulled out the chair and sat down. "i, uh, i hear you're kind of a matchmaker?" realising the shorter boy was still averting his eyes, roman reached across the table and touched his hand. "take your time." meeting roman's eyes, virgil started to talk. "i know i shouldn't care about this, but i'm just kind of tired of being the only person not dating anyone, and i-" as virgil's speech devolved into incomprehensible panicked stuttering, roman squeezed his hand encouragingly. "you don't have to justify yourself, sweetheart. what are you looking for?" flushing now, virgil took a deep breath. "i... i would like you to help me find a boyfriend." roman smiled then, his brain already working, considering who he could match with virgil. "okay, tell me a bit more about yourself."

a/n: thanks for reading!

-finn x