Chapter 5

I folded and unfolded my hands, keeping them moving as if they were ignited with fire. Mr. Lee was at his desk, his glasses perched on the tip of his nose while he gently moved his finger across his laptop screen. The light of the screen illuminated his face, setting a blue-glow onto his complexion.

The weather that I witnessed a few hours ago during my quick run was now nonexistent. Pelts of rain slammed down the windows while thunder rumbled in the distance.

For the whole class, we all copied down notes from the electronic smart-board. We wrote as Mr. Lee typed from his laptop, his virtual movements projecting on to the screen. The lights were shut off so we could see the screen clearly, and I couldn't help but allow my eyelids to flutter shut, daring me to sleep and risk embarrassment. Of course, I didn't. I made sure to sit straight and keep my head up because I knew if I leaned my head down, I would be out in seconds.

Mr. Lee prepared his assignment for the class after ours, but he stopped us before we prepared to leave and make our way to lunch.

"One more thing before you guys pack up. All the cross country people who signed up please remain seated." He paused for a second and eyed the rain from the window. "We have a few things to discuss."

As the bell rang and most of the students left, a few remained seated in the classroom. Me, three guys and two girls.

Mr. Lee walked to the entrance of the classroom.

"Can you guys wait out here for a few minutes? I have to talk to a few students about something real quick." His said to the class that he had next who were waiting in the hallway, chattering loudly.

Muffled laughter echoed from the doorway. I heard a girl tell him something and he laughed again. He came back into the classroom, a trace of a smile on his lips as he made his way to the classroom phone, dialing a number.

"Amanda? Can you announce all cross country students to meet me in my room right now? It'll only be for a few minutes." He asked, his long fingers perfectly gripping the phone.

The individual on the other end said something else and he thanked her, placing the phone back in its spot. Five seconds later, the speaker above the classroom door made a noise.

"All cross country students please report to room three-sixteen. Once again, all cross-country students please report to room three-sixteen. Thank you." Then silence.

I waited patiently in my seat as more students started to enter the classroom. From seniors with strong builds to freshman with skinny, boney legs and tall figures, a variety of different students entered the classroom. Nobody paid attention to me and I was thankful for that.

"We have a lot of new students joining this year but our official meet-up will be later today at the indoor track. It's raining pretty hard right now," He said, once again glancing out the window. "But there will be practices in the rain, just so you all know. When we meet later today we can get you guys sized with the uniforms for the meets and so on."

A chatter fell upon the students but Mr. Lee silenced them by touching his finger to his lips. Some of the students giggled. It must be an inside joke or something.

"Seriously, guys. I know how long you all can take to get the slips signed so hurry up with those. We need everybody to hand them in so we can start the season. Alright, you all are dismissed."

Everyone got up while the students that were waiting in the hallway flooded in, myself getting lost in the sea of unfamiliar faces. I quickly made my way out, giving Mr. Lee a quick nod that he returned.

It was odd; it was as if nodding was better than saying goodbye. And he only nods at me from what I see during class. Only me.

I ate lunch alone like I usually did, now picking at a salad with only croutons. My hunger diminished quickly the more I picked at it, so I eventually shoved it into a garbage can. Instead of staying in the lunch room, I wandered through the hallways and to the indoor track, where there was currently only one person who was too immersed in stretching to notice me.