Joy (a short story)

The noise of traffic woke me up. I rubbed my eyes swollen with sleep and scratched my lousy head. I looked around: cars and buses speeding down the street, pedestrians running toward the nearest bus stop... Just another day in London!

I moved away the blanket and put it into my plastic bag. What time was it? I glanced up: a dull monochromatic sky, impossible to define the hour. My stomach was grumbling: time for breakfast. I headed for the rubbish bin at the end of the street. Better have a look there before spending my loose change on a coffee. I had just started rummaging among the rubbish when... I heard a yelp: there was a puppy! A cute setter was wagging its tail and licking my hand. I drew it out from the bin. It was a girl! Her black eyes were glowing with delight to say her gratitude. "What a joy you are giving me... Joy will be your name!" I exclaimed on cloud nine.

Since that day, Joy and I became inseparable friends and my wretched life seemed a bit more bearable. Joy was faithful and funny: I would never be sad with her by my side. She could almost talk!

A month later, while we were playing in the park with a branch, a well-dressed woman and her kid came near us. "Excuse me!" she called out. I stopped and cast a quizzical look at them. "How much do you want for that dog, sir?" she asked in a cold and stiff tone. "She is not for sale" I answered calmly. Hearing those words, the kid sulked and started grumbling. "Oh, c'mon, don't be ridiculous! I can offer a small fortune to you and a respectable home to it. I'm sure it will be the perfect playmate for my little Jack".

Little Jack was grinning at me. The offer was tempting. A beggar like me should have accepted... I would have had the money to make a fresh start and Joy could have lived in a real family, with children and delicious food. If I had an abject life, it didn't mean that Joy must had it too. I would be selfish if I thought this way. I could have accepted... but I didn't.

Money can't buy Joy!