Chapter 1 - The Normal Morning

I was just a normal girl. I went to school, I got good grades, had a couple good friends, then I went home. There was almost nothing exciting in my life. Just day after day, the same thing. It was very boring, but that changed. Of course it changed, everything in life does. Even I changed from last year. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves, shall we. Let's start from the beginning.

Today is going to be the normal 6th grade day. First everyone has advisory, then 1st hour was science, 2nd was gym, 3rd was ELA (English Language Arts), then lunch. After lunch was social studies and everyone has it that hour, 5th hour was math, then finally 6th hour was exploratory or for me, orchestra Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Then after that I went home on the bus and hang out with my friends until I get home. I was happy with my life for the most part. School was basically my life and it makes me have a smile on my face when I arrived home.

My mom drops me off at the school building. My school has three grades, 4th, 5th, and 6th. In 6th grade you don't have recess anymore. It's a little sad that we can't play outside anymore, but not when it's cold out. It's half way through the year so it's winter. I don't have to be in the -10° or more winter air anymore. Some might say I should take pity on them, but I already went through that all my life. It's my turn to be able to walk into the warm building.

I walk up the stairs in the entrance. My school is very big and grand and there is a lot of empty space. I reach the top of the stairs along with a few other students following me up the stairs, one girl and one boy. I walk down the long 4th grade hallway. The 4th grade is up stairs, the 5th grade is down stairs, and 6th grade has classes up and down stairs. I reach the end of the hallway and there is a set of large, opened doors. I walk through and there is some lockers. These are 6th grade lockers, not 4th grade. My first locker was here on the left wall. I had to move lockers down stairs because almost no one could unlock it. I like to get to school around 7:10/7:15 so there isn't much students here yet. I walk into the big, open space and continue to walk to my locker. There is some stuff in the huge open space through. There are some tables, and bench that bends down when you sit on it, and chairs. There is already quite a few popular kids there already. I wasn't popular. You don't really want to be popular in my school anyways because a lot of the popular kids are mean or bullies. After that is another set of large doors and I walk on through. There is stairs that lead on down but I continue going straight to reach my locker. This is the 3rd locker I had this year. My second one was down stairs. Even though most of my classes were up stairs, it was down stairs. The 6th grade class is spilt in two, 6.1 and 6.2. 6.1 was mostly down stairs and 6.2 was mostly up stairs. I was 6.2 and my best friend was 6.1 so I didn't have any classes with her. So my locker was down stairs and right next to her's. We ended up not being best friends anymore in the first half of the school year so I moved lockers back up stairs.

I unload my backpack into my locker and take off my coat. I'm wearing my favorite jeans and a green, long sleeve shirt with earrings and my favorite light grey shoes. Once I'm done, I head down stairs. Yes, down stairs. Even though I'm early, my best friends are even earlier because their bus is one of the first ones to get to the school. We hang out in the entrance at the front of the building because there are some chairs there and not a lot of people really hang out there. The only reason people do is because we started to. I see my two best friends laughing and their eyes light up as they scream my name.

"Kate!" They yell, now seeing that I'm here.

"You're later than normal today," says Katherine.

I nod my head, just her looking at me, everyone else too busy laughing among each other. "Yeah, I put my stuff away in my locker first." I sit down in my normal spot and join in on the conversation.

We laugh and talk about what happened over the weekend. The bell is going to ring in five minutes so we head on up to our lockers to grab all that we need for our classes. Katherine's locker is the farthest, Grace's is in the middle of ours, and mine is the closest to the stairs. I wait for them to reach my locker as Katherine is waiting for Grace because she's slow. I tap my foot and look at my wrist, like there is a watch on it, and look at my nails and sigh. Grace looks at me and rolls her eyes.

"Come on slow pokes, I'm going to be late for class!" I yell across the hall so they can hear me.

"You still have two more minutes, you're not going to be late!" Grace yells back as she is shutting her locker.

They finally reach my locker and I walk along side with Grace and Katherine on her left. We walk past the big crowd of popular people and go to our normal spot by the science classroom. There is science and right across of it is math and only a little ways down the 4th grade hallway is ELA, on the same side as math. 6.2 is luckier than 6.1 as of classes. 6.2 has nicer teachers and our classes are really close together.

Grace, Katherine, and I chat until the bell rings. We bid out goodbyes and head off to advisory. My advisory is with Mr. Smale, our math teacher. Katherine's is with Mrs. LaMarche, our science teacher. Grace's is Mrs. Stupak, the ELA teacher. I walk into the class filling with students. I head to the back of the class, where my seat is, and hope that Caden isn't here today so I don't have to be annoyed by him for half an hour during advisory.

I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter of Not So Simple. Please vote, comment, and share. Have a wonderful day/night!

-Phire