Arrival

When they arrived, it was so dark they could barely see what was in front of them. They tried to look around and see what the area was like, but they wouldn't. It was probably a good thing, and it gave them more time to prepare for the poverty that was ahead. As they got nearer to the orphanage, Emery's heart began to race. She was anxious that she wouldn't be able to build up enough courage to communicate with any of them even though she had come to far just to be there. She feared she wouldn't be enough for them, and her trip would be pointless. The closer she got, the more afraid she became. There was something else that Emery noticed she was the only one who was looking around the rest were just talking so she couldn't ask anyone. She wouldn't have asked anyway because she was beginning to feel silly, just thinking about saying it to her mam. There had been no concrete buildings since they left the town, which was known as Karen. Emery was beginning to wonder what to the orphanage would look like considering everything around it looked like it was barely standing.
The van turned down a bumpy road everyone had to hold onto something so that they didn't get thrown around. The driver told the volunteers that the orphanage was coming up on the right side of the road soon. A few minutes later he pulled in at a gate. There was something written on it, but it was too dark to make out the painted blue letters. The orphanage was more substantial than what any of the volunteers had been expecting. It was built with cement blocks and was two stories high. Everyone was exhausted from the nine-hour flight, so they couldn't pay much attention to anything. The orphanage was quiet as all the children had gone to sleep. The driver helped them bring their bags to the living room area. From there, the owner of the orphanage told them what rooms they were going to be in and left them for the night to make themselves feel more at home. Emery and Sarah went into their room and unpacked what they needed for the night and went to sleep. They had an eventful day ahead of them tomorrow.
It was till the next morning that they truly realised what they had gotten themselves in for by travelling all this way. All the volunteers had breakfast together. They had delicious watermelon and toast. One of the volunteers brought a box of Barry's tea bags to share with whoever wanted one. Typical Irish thing to do, can't go anywhere without their tea. His name was John. He had been volunteering before with the same company except he went to Tanzania the last time. He knew the owner of the company but other than that he knew the same amount as us because it was very different in Tanzania compared to here.