Chapter 25

The Nigerian way of organizing funerals usually consisted of two things, too much food than required - even though the guests would go on to complain after the event that there wasn't enough to go around - and the second ingredient was extravagance, Alisha was sure those two would come much later during the reception but she found it sad and amusing that no genuine tears were being shed for the dead man who lay in the open coffin. Of course, some of the few people from the church who had been invited for the private funeral were bawling their eyes out a manner that was too loud to be genuine.

Festus's older brother stood somberly by the coffin, shaking his head pitifully as he spoke to the pastor who was named the successor to the church. They were probably discussing how Festus was a good man and how he didn't deserve to die so young from a heart attack, but deep in their hearts the brother was thinking of when he would get his own share of the money and the pastor was probably thinking of how he'd drive the church into further sin. Although Alisha might be judging too hard because she had spoken to him some minutes ago and he seemed like a nice man - then again, every member who had spoken personally to Festus when he had been alive had probably thought he too was a nice man.

Another pastor stood by the pulpit doing the soundcheck as invited guests streamed into the church and took their seats, as she paced the hall, Alisha noticed her siblings and mother sitting at the front and when Victory spotted her, he waved and she smiled, doing the same.

She blew out a nervous breath, if she was doing this then she had to do it right, it was her chance of letting go, her chance of closure and she didn't want to mess it up. A single tap on her shoulder made her spin on her heels and almost collide her head with Rhoda's.

"Hey, you okay?" Rhoda asked, concern etched on her face. Yesterday, before the funeral, she had called all her friends, and connected them on a single group call on WhatsApp and told them the whole truth about Festus and that he had been one of the factors why she had left. She hadn't spoken of August, because it was hard and it wouldn't miraculously get easier, she decided to take it one step at a time.

Surprisingly, they had been supportive, Nehemiah had spoken extensively about how he wanted to knock Festus's teeth down to his throat and Godwin had reminded him with a cackle that the man was dead. Elisabeth had told her that she was brave and even though she hadn't wholeheartedly believed it, it had made her smile. Rhoda had shocked them all and announced that a relative had once tried to abuse her and would have, if her eldest brother hadn't walked in that moment. It made Alisha realize that sexual abuse was more rampant than they knew because its victims never spoke up.

"I'm good. Well, as good as I can be right now." She said, forcing a smile, jolting from her reverie.

Rhoda cracked a tiny smile at that. Godwin and Elisabeth were behind them and the former was literally vibrating with excitement.

"You can't blame the girl, she's about to out the saint in front of all his worshippers." Godwin winked, Elisabeth jabbed in the stomach and he doubled over, pretending it hurt.

"No one's outing anyone, Godwin." Alisha huffed a laugh.

"Look at you, acting like you weren't one of his worshippers." Elisabeth said, rolling in her eyes in a very 'un-Elisabeth' manner.

"I've always hated him." Godwin sneered, then winced at the look on Alisha's face as if he was afraid of offending her. She didn't even care. "I mean, he made us volunteer when I didn't want to."

"I'll be fine, y'all." Alisha affirmed. "And if any one hears you talking trash about the dead pastor, you'll be thrown out before your eyes can bulge in shock."

Godwin gaped at her in wonder as if unbelieving that she had just insulted him, he parted his lips to fire a comeback when the pastor behind the pulpit announced that everyone be seated and Alisha cast one last glance at the wide open doors of the sanctuary, waiting for someone.