Chapter 19: Allowance

"Chris, can you sleep with me tonight?" Shania asked Chris who was still working on his computer by her bedside.
"Sure, scoot in," sighed Chris as he looked at his sister's pleading eyes.

Chris pulled her blanket back and fluffed a pillow for himself. As Chris laid down, he adjusted his position as he stroked Shania's head and lulled her to sleep.

By the time Shania was awake the next morning, Chris was no longer sleeping beside her. She went outside and saw Chris on the dining table drinking coffee and reading the newspaper.

"Good morning," Shania yawned as she rubs the sleep in her eyes.
"Good morning sweetie," replied Chris as he opened up to receive a hug from his sister.

Shania walked up to her brother for the hug and Chris messes up her hair and said, "take a seat, let's have a chat after you're done with breakfast." Hearing that, Shania felt a lump on her throat as she dragged herself to sit across her brother.

She took her time to finish her breakfast of french toast and berries.

"Let's make things easier for you and me," Chris said as he folded the newspaper he was reading and looking at his sister.
"I don't agree with you stealing, but at the same time, you probably did that as you haven't been receiving an allowance," continued Chris.

Shania just held onto her glass of orange juice and stared into it.

"As you're a student and I don't recommend you to look for a job to keep an earning, I have prepared a list of things and chores you can do for an allowance," Chris said as he pushed a paper to Shania's direction.

Shania picked up the list and read.

-----

Shania's Allowance Chart
Completing Homework - $2/day
I will work with your teachers and tutors to communicate through your school journal.

Completing Work from Chris - $2/week
This is for your weekly book report and readings

Cleaning Your Room - $5/week
Tina is no longer cleaning your bedroom, just your bathroom.
Cleaning includes vacuuming and mopping your floors, making your bed every morning before you leave your bedroom, emptying your clothes hamper and bringing your soiled clothes to the laundry room.
Keeping your wardrobe tidy at all times.
I will do a check daily and if I catch you skipping any of the chores above, you won't get any of the $5 that week.

*Your allowance payout is given to you every Sunday. If you clear all the tasks above, you will get a $10 bonus that week.
*I will reward good grades with money

-----

"The reason why I'm doing this is so that you know the value of money. Especially since you are already aware that we have plenty of it in our family," Chris said.
"Giving you $1000 straight up right now doesn't hurt me in any way, but it would hurt you. And I don't want that. Papa did the same thing to me when I was younger, but the chores and work I had to put in was much more challenging compared to the ones you have on this list," Chris added.
"I remember how I had to drain the entire swimming pool and use a brush to scrub the tiles of the pool to receive $5," Chris laughed as he recalls the memory.

"How do you feel about this?" Asked Chris.
Shania shrugged.
"Naya, I'm asking you a question, use your words," Chris sternly said.
"Okay okay, I guess it's alright," replied Shania.