Chapter 1.

Earlier on

"Och the poor child. She'll be orphaned now."

"I've heard the Gray family hadn't paid off their debts and that tomorrow their house will be eviscerated."

"Really?" the old lady raised her eyebrows and tried to have a look at Ann without seeming suspicious. "She is rather skinny. I hope she won't be on the streets. The poor girl will starve to death."

A plum looking woman snorted. "Oh, who would want her in their home?"

The elderly woman sighed and nodded, agreeing with the other woman. "It's a tragedy. What the lord has done to her."

"Bless her soul." The plum woman agreed. "I've not been anything but a good catholic woman, however, as the father George says, we can't help the damned."

The elderly woman nodded with a sad smile. "Bless her spirit."

A little further away from the three women, Ann had been ignoring the stares and hasty condolences she had received for the death of her mother.

She just looked at a painting of an old funny looking fellow that had a resemblance of a wizard. He was holding a crystal ball, she noted. Directing her attention onto anything that wasn't funeral related helped her to stop from crying violently.

Ann didn't like to publicly cry.

There was too much pressure onto her already. Half of the town hated her for wearing clothes that weren't neutral, grey and ugly. Not that she cared- being liked by people wasn't one of her aspirations.

She's always been different. To many, she was like the sore feet of the town. An albino chicken. The accidental curly fries with your normal french fry order. Maybe even a white dwarf in the universe. 

But she just felt different. As if her ideas and visions weren't appreciated in the community. As if her words weren't good enough. She didn't attend church because of the people she would come across. They'd whisper behind her back and if there was one thing she hated, it was gossip.

"You seem distant."

Ann looked away from the painting to see Father George approach her. Distant? "My mother just died." she replied.

Father George smiled sadly and sat down next to her. "My condolences- she's in a better place now. But... Even events like these can be void of emotion when one doesn't know what to do with her own."

Ann raised an eyebrow. "And I don't know what to do with my emotions?" she said with a bit of anger.

"Our father helps everyone one of his children-even you. You'll know what to do. He's always helping." said Father George, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, child. Your grievance may come when the time is right."

Sighing, Ann wanted to punch the man in his guts for trying to suggest that she'd get a grip onto her emotions. She hadn't cried because she was trying to keep herself presentable and not like a flailing whale. "Yes, Father." she replied in a monotonous voice.

Noting her annoyance, Father George stood up. "Goodbye, Ann. I wish you well on your journey. We will all think of you. In here." he told her, putting a hand onto his chest.

Ann raised an eyebrow and watched the priest walk away. Her journey. What a start it had, so far.

She couldn't truly understand the hidden meaning behind the priest' message, but everything seemed to be more ironic when she woke up with a thumping headache.

She had been crying all night. Or at least, that's what she had remembered.

Current day

For His SakeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara