𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏// 𝐆𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐂𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐧𝐬

The Shade Palace was starting to bring back bad memories.

Prince William Solace took a deep breath, trying to calm the panic in his veins, and scanned the crowd of nobility, keeping his eyes averted from the center of the throne room. Three months ago in that precise spot, he had been tied up, preparing to meet Death. Three months ago in this room, General Michael Yew had been killed.

Three months had not healed those wounds.

But this was Queen Hazel Levesque's coronation. And the Aureoles must be present for it, because support might help attain peace at last between their kingdoms. And so Will would mask his terror with a smile, and push back those memories as much as he could. Because this was too important.

Lou Ellen Blackstone, the one who would conduct the coronation, was standing beside the empty thrones, lovely yet solemn in her pale robes. Her dark hands were clasped in front of her, her pale green eyes focused on the throne room doors, where the Queen would enter.

Healer Lee Fletcher, sensing Will's fear, brushed his hand over Will's. Will met his eyes and gave him a smile, before dropping his gaze. He adjusted his dark green robe, his crown heavy on his head.

Lou Ellen announced that Queen Levesque was to appear in a few minutes. Will set his shoulders back and raised his chin, not allowing a trace of fear to show on his face.

The throne room doors opened, servants scuttling aside to make way. Hazel Levesque appeared in the threshold, grand and breath-taking. Her volumious black dress trailed behind her in a lengthy train, accented with gold trim. Her hair haloed her face, reflecting the torchlight. Her arms and throat were adorned with gold chains, which clinked against each other as she walked. Her back was erect, her chin raised.

Levesque stopped several feet from the throne. Blackstone approached her with a smile, and began the ceremony.

"Madam, is Your Majesty willing to take the oath?" Blackstone asked.

"I am willing," came the reply.

Blackstone had Levesque repeat after her.

"I, Hazel Levesque, solemnly promise and swear to govern the Peoples of the Shade Kingdom, according to their respective laws and customs. I will execute my judgements in justice and mercy." She bowed, and Blackstone set the crown on her head. Levesque rose, turned to the crowd, and said, "The things which I have here before promised, I will perform and keep. So help me the gods."

Everyone in the throne room seemed to hold their breath as Queen Levesque ascended her throne, then burst into applause and shouts of joy. Will clapped with them, unable to help his smile.

Queen Levesque spoke again, and they hushed. "My father, King Abaddon, was a wicked ruler. I shall rule in his stead, with peace and love. Of this I promise you."

Today was a new day, a new age, for the Shade Kingdom. An evil king had been replaced by a loving queen. Peace did not seem far away anymore, but tangible. Possible. Real.

Hope, frail and desperate but wild, surged through Prince William as he bowed to the Queen with his mother and father, wishing her the best.

☀️☀️☀️

The commoners and nobility rushed outside to celebrate. Will was shown to a private room, where he was changed from his uncomfortable robe into a loose green tunic and black pants. He lingered in the throne room with his parents and Queen Levesque, who were talking in hushed tones.

Adrenaline was racing through Will. He enjoyed Queen Levesque allowing them to attend her coronation-- truly, he did. But memories were crowding his mind, and he was starting to feel suffocated, as though the oxygen was being drained from the room.

"Are you okay?" Queen Naomi whispered into his ear. "You're shaking."

Will struggled to breathe. "I... I'm okay." He loosed a tight breath, trying to calm his racing heart. "I'm okay."

His mother set a hand on his shoulder as Queen Levesque spoke. "You may stay in my palace overnight if you so wish," she said, her brown eyes flicking to King Apollo.

"Thank you. We shall." The four set off for the festival. Will resisted the urge to rush for the exit, staying at his mother's side. He walked out into the fresh air, the wind tugging at his hair.

Vendors were set up, offering food and clothes and other things. Musicians played in groups, and couples danced in the streets, their laughter echoing.

He spotted General Ramirez-Arellano and Nico di Angelo and walked to them with a warm smile. The Shade General greeted him, her eyes straying to the scar on his cheek. "How are you, Prince?"

"I'm doing well. And you?"

"Good as ever."

"Any problems with the kingdom?"

The general hesitated, then said, "There were some people out here protesting Levesque's coronation."

"Protesting?" Will echoed, eyes widening in surprise. "Why?"

"They want Abaddon back."

"Abaddon? He was horrible! Why--?"

He was interrupted by a Shade asking him to a dance. He gave his comrades an apologetic look and led the woman to the street-turned-dance-floor. After her, he danced with another woman who asked as well. He at last returned to the two Shades.

"I'd like to thank you for helping me escape. Di Angelo said you were the one who came up with the plan."

"It took all of us," the general said. She turned as a guard shouted for her, rushing away.

Nico watched her go, dark eyes unreadable, before stepping forward and offering his hand to Will, almost shyly. "May I have this dance?" he whispered.

Will smiled, tugging him into the street. The musicians picked up the pace of the song, from slow and romantic to wild and lively. Will laughed as Nico twirled him. He snapped back into Nico's arms, not missing a beat, their breaths mingling.
The two men spun and stomped, cheering with the rest.

The song ended, the fiddles' final notes echoing. The crowd applauded. Will found himself reluctant to let go, and leaned against Nico. "I need a break from all this dancing."

Nico led Will through the crowd and behind a building, shielding them from the eyes of the celebrators. There, Nico pressed a kiss to Will's temple. The prince smiled, pulling him closer.

For the last two weeks, Will and Nico hadn't been able to meet each other, save for quick, stolen kisses before rushing away. Nico had finally, finally, become a guard, and Will was busy with his own duties concerning the kingdom. It had been a while since they had simply held each other like this.

"How are you?" Nico asked, tucking back a strand of Will's hair. "Are you doing okay?"

Will nodded, resting his head on Nico's shoulder. Will's nightmares were far from fading, something Nico was concerned about. Nico didn't know about the dissociation; Will was reluctant to tell him, and didn't really know how. How do you explain that you disconnect and observe yourself from outside your body, and in such a way that it's comprehensible?

Would Nico think he was dangerous?

Will shook off the troubling thoughts as Nico kissed his cheek, pressing against him. "Don't worry about me," he whispered. "I'll be okay."

Nico frowned. "Are you sure?"

"Yes." Nico already had so much to worry about; he didn't need to stress over Will's wellbeing. "I'll be fine." He could hear the music change to a slow song, and people cheering. He tightened his arms around Nico, not wanting to let go. "No more talk. Just kiss me."

And so Nico did.