𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎// 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭

Will Solace awoke to darkness, chained to a bed.

The realization was quick, and horror roared through him. He struggled, yanking at the chains, sobbing through clenched teeth. When the chains didn't give beneath his efforts, his heart raced faster in his chest, memories flashing before him-- memories he had thought he had overcome.

"Help!" he yelled. "Is anyone there?"

The door banged open, bright light spilling through. Will flinched back from the light as a familiar but hoarse voice cursed.

"I told those guards not to leave you like this!" Nico rushed over, then stumbled to a stop, making sure to stay out of reach of Will. He stared at Will's face, as though to confirm something. "Your eyes are blue now. That must mean--"

"Where am I?" the prince demanded.

"Healer's Tower. Calm down; you're okay." Nico must have seen the terror in Will's eyes, because his voice became more gentle. "You're okay. I'm not gonna hurt you. No one is."

Lee slipped through the door, green eyes weary. "Unchain me!" Will ordered.

"Your Majesty--"

"Now. That's an order!" He tried to summon light, but failed; the chains were magic-proof. He cursed.

Lee didn't respond; he merely walked across the room and lit a torch. In the flickering light, Will thought he saw shadows on Nico's throat, but a closer look made his heart stop. Bruises. In the shape of handprints. No wonder his voice was so hoarse.

"Who hurt you?" Will asked.

Nico hesitated, then said, "You."

"Wha--?" Will's mouth parted in shock, then shapped shut. He shook his head, a hand snaking up to rest on his forehead. "Did I... did I black out, or something?"

Lee came over, standing next to Nico. Calmly, he explained everything-- how Will had been possessed by the spirit of King Abaddon, how he had attacked King Solace, General Jackson, and multiple guards. Will barely registered what he was saying.

"Is this why I'm..?" He shook off the memories threatening to overpower him. "Why I'm tied down?"

"We had no choice," Lee said. "I'm sorry."

"How long will I be like this?"

"Until the spirit is out of you," Lee replied. He pointed to Nico. "Since di Angelo is your bodyguard, he will make sure you are tended to." Lee cautiously stepped up to Will's bed, placing a hand on his shoulder. His power flowed through Will, healing the small wounds he had inflicted on himself by tugging at the chains so hard. "Until then, we will keep the torch burning so you don't have to exhaust yourself using your light powers, and have guards outside your door constantly."

"Thank you," Will managed to say, lying back down on the bed. He took a deep breath, trying to calm his racing heart. "Thank you."

Lee backed away, then grabbed Nico and dragged him away. "We have to go. An emergency council was called."

The door closed with a thud, echoing through the room. Will exhaled, trying his best to remain calm, and stared at the ceiling.

☀️☀️☀️

"I'll need Austin to remind me about giving Will a sleeping draught before bed. I doubt he'll sleep without it." Fletcher raked his fingers through his blonde hair, eyes full of worry. "I probably just re-traumatized him. All his therapy..."

"You had no choice," Nico said. "Not restraining him would have been dangerous."

"That doesn't make me feel better, di Angelo," the healer snapped. He paused. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be yelling at you. It's not your fault."