Chapter 99 - Loyal -

I couldn't believe it. I was so excited to see my girlfriend and when I finally did, she told me she wanted to readdress problems we already put to rest, and dropped Wade Cainan's name into the conversation. What kind of karma was at play? Why couldn't I break away from the memory of that annoying pest? More importantly, what did I have to do to make sure Arisa never spoke to him again? If Wade found out I was dating his ex-girlfriend, I wouldn't be able to stop him from revealing everything to Arisa.

I knew my girlfriend was trouble from the day I met her. Her curiosity alone led her into my territory and after she vowed to sabotage me, I made it my duty to keep a very close eye on her. Neither of us forgot how close she came to jeopardizing my entire operation. Arisa may have backed off after learning about the lawsuit I was filing against my parents, but if Wade started talking about my past, it would take a miracle for her to forgive me.

I stared at her solemnly. "Did you tell him we were dating or not?"

Arisa's blue eyes pierced through me. "You're being real shady right now and I don't appreciate it," she replied. "You said you didn't care who I dated but all of a sudden it's a concern?"

"I don't care that you dated him," I corrected. "I just asked if he knew you were dating me."

Arisa crossed my arms. "Why don't you tell me what this is really about?"

It had been a while since she looked at me this aggressively. It was a sad reminder of how quickly I fell for her. Arisa was blunt and strong-headed, and it was hard for me not to admire those qualities about her. However, that temper of hers was a double-edged sword too.

"Look," I sighed. "I don't want to delve into my past. I also don't want your ex talking about things that are none of his business."

"Why are you so cryptic?" she asked. "Do you know how infuriating it is listening to you talk about being honest one second, and then watch you withhold information the next? You're a hypocrite!"

"Oh, I'm a hypocrite?"

"Yes, you're a hypocrite!"

"You're the one who wants to serve a bowl of hope to someone who is in love with you!"

Arisa was indignant. "Khaleel is not in love with me!" she shouted.

"He might as well be!" I yelled back.

We both fell silent. Arisa glared daggers at me. I whipped around and tried to collect myself. I didn't meet up with her to argue over who was right and who was wrong. I just wanted to tell her that I missed her and that I wanted to walk her home today. Why couldn't I just bring myself to say that and let everything else go to hell?

"What happened between you and Wade?" Arisa's question fired me up again. "You might as well tell me before I go looking for answers myself."

I couldn't believe how aggravating she was being. "Fine," I gave up. "He wasn't my friend, he was Tomasia's friend. I hated the guy. He was annoying—and I sensed he had ulterior motives with my sister, so I paid him to get lost."

Arisa's eyes widened. "Y-You paid him off? And he took the money?"

I averted my eyes. "I didn't really give him a choice." Yes, that was good. It was the truth, a part of it, and for now it was all she needed to hear to stop asking questions. "He was crushing on my sister and I decided he wasn't good enough. I wanted to make sure Tommy stayed boy-free for another year. It was baby love, stupid shit—you don't need to look at me like I murdered kittens, Arisa."

My girlfriend shook her head. "Why am I so angry—why am I so surprised?" she asked through gritted teeth. "They don't call you the devil for shits and giggles."