Chapter 1: Cheer Camp

*(Y/N) POV*

'Cheer camp!! Finally!' I thought as I brushed my white hair, getting ready for the day.

I grabbed my backpack and my shoes and looked at myself in the mirror propped up against the wall. I smiled softly at my cheer uniform, the pink and green bow in my hair, my pink and green shoes, my pink leggings, and shirt. Feeling confident, I lift my head high and walk out of my room.

"Good morning, mom! G'morning, dad!" I kissed their pale cheeks as I greeted them.

Mr. and Mrs. Zambia took me under their wing when Seabrook threw me into Zombietown when I was 6. I consider them to be my birth parents after all they've done for me. Mom smiled and ruffled my hair, "Have a great time at cheer camp hun!"

Dad quickly swallowed what was in his mouth, "Knock 'em dead kiddo!"

Giggling, I replied, "Will do, dad! See you guys later!"

I ran out of the house and made my way to school. Zombies who were already up an about waved at me with the greeting of the day—some in human-tongue and some in zombie-tongue, which I can understand since zombies raised me. I've always smiled at this. There was just something about it that made me feel like I belonged with them. Even though it's obvious, I don't.

I got at school right as the bus engine roared to life, Addison poked her head out the window, "Hurry up (Y/N)!"

I sprinted as fast as I could to the door, if the bus door hadn't opened, I wouldn't have been able to stop in time. It was slightly painful coming face to face with the door. I made my way onto the bus as Lacey and Stacey, and some new guy laughed at me. I ignored them and sat in the front since the rest of the seats were full. I sat alone, I knew Addison or Bree, or both, would have been willing to sit by me, but they were already seated in the middle, and the bus was already moving. I looked at the bus driver. There's just something about being driven by a shrimp that just doesn't seem quite right.

As we drove by the forbidden forest, I couldn't help but wonder why it was forbidden when the stories of monsters in the woods were just...stories? My guess people are still just scared of the unknown.

'You?'

The thought always makes me sick when it pops up in my mind, and I'm still fighting it. My face warms up as my anger slowly rises.

'I'm not unknown. I'm human. I'm a human with white hair, like Addison. It's just a rare trait. That's all.'

No matter how much I tried to force myself to believe this, my gut always left this cold feeling that I was wrong. I sighed and watched the forest go by, propping my forehead against the window I whispered, "who am I supposed to be?"

As we arrived at cheer camp, I was forcing myself to forget my sad thoughts because I should be happy to be able to cheer finally.

*Don't forget to vote or comment if you enjoyed the story!*