I Don't Want To Lose You ~ Prodigal Son ~ Brightwell ~ Alternate

A/N This is an alternative story to the previous one shot. This is how the story would've gone if Dani and Malcolm had been together. You do not need to read the original one shot if you wish to read this one.

Dani sighed, stealing a lollipop from her boyfriend's desk drawer. She had been filling out paperwork for the last three hours and desperately needed a break. She knew she should've stayed home today, but the team had been in the midst of a high profile murder investigation when she found out she was pregnant. She was terrified for a multitude of reasons, and today, the main reason was Malcolm. Yet again, he'd been far too close to getting himself killed for the third time this week. 

Dani hadn't spoken to him in two hours, simply because she didn't know how to start that conversation. She wasn't even sure she was fit to be a parent, and she sure as hell wasn't ready to know Malcolm's feelings on the subject. He had, of course, noticed her acting differently over the past couple of days. He had asked, but she'd simply told him she was fine, and after two years of dating, he knew better than to press for answers. He  fidgeted with his hands, not really having anything to do. They'd finished their case, and he had no work left to do, but he always stayed at the precinct until Dani was ready to leave. He leaned back in his chair, grabbing a fidget cube off his desk. JT had given it to him after he broke 20-something paperclips trying to make 'designs' with them. 

Dani got her coat. "I'm going to get some fresh air..." she said, her tone a bit more aggressive than she intended it to be. Malcolm stood up as well. "I'll come too..." he said. "Just... stay here, Bright..." she said. He frowned, immediately worried. "Is something wrong? Did I do something?" he asked. She sighed. "Can we not do this here?" she asked. "Not... not now, anyway..." she said quietly. "Dani, I'm worried about you..." he said. She sighed, taking his hand and pulling him into a conference room. "Why are you in here?" she asked, looking at JT, who was playing on his phone. "I'm not allowed to go home... it's Tally's girls' night." he said. Dani sighed. "Okay..." she said. "But I'll give you two a minute..." he said, going to his desk. 

Dani locked the door once he'd left. "This is the last place I wanted to have this conversation with you..." she muttered, sitting down. "What is it?  What's wrong?" he asked, taking her hand gently. "You've had three near death experiences this week, Malcolm..." she said. She rarely used his first name, only when she had something serious to talk about, or when he was in trouble. Bright didn't really know what to say. He didn't mean to put himself in the kind of constant danger he did, he just had the tendency to act before thinking. 

"I don't... I don't want to lose you..." she said, a small tear falling down her face. Dani hated crying in front of people, especially Malcolm. She wasn't one to talk about her feelings openly, but she knew they'd have to have this conversation at some point.  "Dani, I'm sorry... I-I don't mean to worry you... I don't. I just..." she interrupted him. "I know... I know, you don't think before you act. You act on instinct. Malcolm, I know... but, you... you can't do that anymore, okay?" she said, taking a few deep breaths as she tried to calm herself. 

Malcolm nodded. "Dani, have you always felt this way? Y-You could've talked to me before-" she interrupted him again. "It hasn't always been this way... I mean, I've always worried about you. I always will, but I..." she wiped her tears, taking a shaky breath as she squeezed his hand. "I'm pregnant..." she said softly. Malcolm was terrified, excited, happy, and so many other emotions at the same time. Dani felt the same, but her primary emotion was fear. It took about two seconds for Malcolm to pull her into a comforting hug, kissing her head softly. "I love you..." was the first thing he said, as it seemed to be the most important thing right now. "I love you more..." Dani said, staying contently where she was, with her head on his chest. 

to be continued...