2.Laxmana: The Man,The Warrior and The Dedication

Surprised to see "The Man' in title? Laxmana was "The Man" not because he was brave warrior but because he respected each and every women that crossed his path in his life. Society needs to change the way they look at women today. 

Ayodhya was grieving the exile of Rama. Sumantra was one of the most loyal soldier of Ayodhya's throne,he went upto the forest with Rama,Laxmana and Sita for protection. Before he left next day he asked Laxmana if he wants to send any message back in Ayodhya to which Laxmana replied,"Yes, go and tell your king that he is not my father anymore because from today my father is Ramchandra,my Ayodhya is Ramchandra and my world is Ramchandra, so tell Dashratha that I dont need his service as father anymore." Can you just imagine how much Laxmana loved Rama? In a moment he left everything he had and dedicated himself completely to Rama.

Laxmana decided to stay awake for 14 years. He requested Nidra Devi, the Goddess of Sleep not to give him sleep for 14 years so that he can be awake and guard Rama and Sita. Nidra Devi was impressed with his dedication and granted him the boon.This is the reason why Laxmana is also known as Gudakesh.Later this boon helped him kill 'Indrajeet',we will discuss it at the end.

Rama helped Sugriv kill Bali as a promise that in return Sugriv will help Rama to find Sita

Rama helped Sugriv kill Bali as a promise that in return Sugriv will help Rama to find Sita. But even after 5 months after Bali's death, Sugriv was enjoying his kingdom and didn't take any sincere steps to find Sita. This made Rama angry and he asked Laxmana to confront him and remind him that the Hands that killed Bali are still strong. We are already aware about Rage of Laxmana,you read it in first part. Angry Laxmana rushed towards Kishkindha,ripping off all the bushes coming in his way. Through spies the news reached to Sugriv that angry Laxmana is coming towards Mahal. Sugriv got really scared but he had great knowledge pf politics. He called Tara (Bali's wife who later married Sugriv) and asked her to welcome Laxmana. Tara objected and asked 'if warrior like you is afraid to face him then why are you dragging me into it?' Sugriv replied,"Laxmana is one of the greatest person I know,and here's the thing about great personalities-even when they are full of fire from inside they are always aware that every women is incarnation of Goddess and every women deserves respect, so seeing you will calm down his anger and then I will meet him.'

Sugriv gave such a great certificate to Laxmana even in his furious state and it is what exactly happened. He didn't even see Tara,he just heard ornaments from distance and all his anger washed out. And he met Sugriv with so much innocence that it felt like Laxmana has committed mistake and he is asking Sugriv for forgiveness.

नाहं जानामि केयूरे नाहं जानामि कुण्डले ।

नूपुरेत्वभिजानामि नित्यं पादाभिवन्दनात् ॥

Laxmana was a true gentleman. Even during the exile, Laxmana stayed with his brother Ram and Sister in law Sita, but he never looked at her face. He only gazed at her feet. When Sugriva showed them the jewellery thrown by Sita when Ravan was carrying her to Lanka, Laxmana didn't identify any ornaments except Sita's anklet. He said he had seen them while laying his head on her feet in worship. He was not able to recognize any other jewellery as he has never presumed to look closely at them. Now you know why Laxman is "The Man" . It is also said that he didn't saw face of any lady for 14 years!

Meghnad,son of Ravana was a fierce warrior. He defeated Lord Indra in the battle and got the name "Indrajeet" which verbally means victory over Indra. Indrajeet was fighting like a lion in the battle of lanka,he was causing huge damage to Rama's army. Laxmana realised the tension of Rama and jumped in next day to target and kill Indrajeet. Both of them were mighty warriors. Fierce battle took place between them and Indrajeet used the shakti weapon which left Laxmana fatally injured, we all know the story how Hanumana brought Sanjeevani and Laxmana was saved but what we are not aware of is Rama wept and confessed that he could live without the riches in Ayodhya, he could live without his beloved Sita but he could not live without brother Lakshman on his side. This war,victory is useless if Laxmana dies. This words from Rama were enough to prove that even he loved Laxmana immensely.

Indrajeet was immortal,he could be only defeated by someone who had defeated Sleep

Indrajeet was immortal,he could be only defeated by someone who had defeated Sleep.Remember the boon Nidra Devi gave to Laxmana? Laxmana had defeated sleep and he was blessed by Nidra Devi. Next day Laxmana took the battlefield and fought like bhagwan Parshuram. He killed Indrajeet and took Rama a step closer to Sita.

"महापराक्रमी लक्ष्मन "

Ravana was killed and Rama's army was victorious in the battle. A group of saints went to meet Rama soon after the battle ended, they told Rama,"Ravana was known loser,he couldn't lift Shivdhanush,he was defeated by Bali,Gods have also defeated him so it was easy for you to defeat him. But defeating Indrajeet was the toughest task. Laxmana is "महापराक्रमी" (fierce warrior). This shows that Laxmana was as mighty as Rama.

After 14 years of Vanvas-Rama,Sita and Laxmana returned to Ayodhya!

In next and final part we will see the life of Laxamana at Ayodhya,how Rama asked Laxmana to do the task he was afraid of,Death of Laxmana. 

HAPPY HANUMAAN JAYANTI!

II अंजनीच्या सुता तुला रामाचं वरदान
एक मुखाने बोला,बोला जय जय हनुमान II

II अंजनीच्या सुता तुला रामाचं वरदानएक मुखाने बोला,बोला जय जय हनुमान II