Chapter one

One week

    "You better not become best friends with some other girl while you're gone!" I pout

Xavier chuckles as he folds his clothes into the suitcase. He holds up a hoodie with 'Arizona' boldly printed across. He shoves it into the suitcase and zips it up.

"Oh, I almost forgot." He turns around and opens up one of his desk drawers. He takes out a folded piece
of notebook paper and sets it down on my lap. I give him a weird look then unfold the paper.

Gianna and Xavier's guide to being the best of best friends.

"Oh my gosh!" I grin. "I forgot that we wrote this."

We were twelve and that's when our friends began teasing us and begging for us to date. We had been friends since we were babies and didn't like each other like that. Plus, I was still convinced boys had cooties so I forced him to make it with me.

Rule #1- We promise to tell each other everything.

We do. At first, it was just the basics like how you did on your math test, when we got to high school and got into our first relationships then we started getting more detailed. Like who lost the first kiss first and who lost their virginity first. Not that it was a pressure but we promised we'd tell each other.

For the record, it was always Xavier that was first. He was always better looking than me but puberty hit me during my senior year.

Rule #2- No keeping secrets

I mean I didn't tell him when I got my period and other girl stuff. I'm sure he understood.

Rule #3- Trust

Xavier is the first person I trust the most. The second is our other friend, Tessa.

Rule #4- Don't ever let a boyfriend or girlfriend get in between you two.

I'm positive that Xavier's girlfriend hates my guts. She's really nice and all but I can see where she's coming from.

Rule #5- Stick to being friends. No falling in love or other gross stuff.

We kind of broke that rule. We were desperate teenagers so we lost our first kiss to each other. I mean it was the quickest peck ever but we still count it. We promised each other that day that nothing like that would ever happen.

And at the bottom of the list was our signatures.

Gianna Rae Taylor & Xavier Jae Westbrook.

Xavier and I were born on the same day, same month, the same year, and only one hour apart. Our moms have been best friends since middle school and they shared a hospital room wall when they were giving birth. They wanted us to be best friends like them which happened. They also gave us similar middle names which make us two feel closer to each other.

"Where'd you find this?" I fold the paper back up and smile at the memory of us writing it.

"Deep in my closet." He says. "We followed every rule on that list. So we can say we're the best of best friends."

"Stop that! You'll make me cry, and I'm saving my tears for when we say goodbye!" I warn him.

He giggles and sets his suitcase by the door. "I think I'm all done."

He sits next to me on the bed and we stare at his now blank wall. "Gia, please don't get mad at me ."

"Huh?" I turn my head towards him and furrow my eyebrows.

"Amber wants me to spend the rest of the week with her. She wants me to come along with her family on their annual yacht party or whatever it is."

"And you're going?"

"Gianna, please don't take this the wrong way."

"You mean the remaining week you have left here in Maine? And you're spending it with Amber instead of Tessa and me? Aka you're two best friends since we were babies!"

"I've tried explaining it to her and I'm sorry for that but you know how Amber gets."

I stand up from the bed and rest my hands on my hips. "Rule number four, Xavier! You're going to let her get in between friendships?"

"You're overreacting!" He stands up and is standing in front of me. "You and I and Tessa know that we'd probably stop being friends after I leave! You really think we'd be best friends while I'm away in Arizona?"

"So now you're letting this whole Arizona scholarship get to your head?" I feel my mouth drop.

"That's not what I meant, Gianna! I'm just being realistic." He argues back.

"You know what? Fine! Have fun with Amber the whole week." I roll my eyes and storm out his room. I storm down the stairs and hear Xavier behind me. I reach the front door when he yanks my arm.

"Gia, you can't just leave like that-"

"And fuck her real nice for me too while you're at it." I clench my jaw and slam the door shut behind me.

***
"Forget about him, Gia. The stress probably just got to him." Tessa sighed.

"I just can't believe he'd say that." I shake my head in disapproval.

"Hey, tell you what. How about you and I have a movie night tomorrow as we did in middle school. Order pizza and watch unrealistic chick-flicks. You need to get your mind off of things."

"It's a date." I giggle.

"See you tomorrow night." She hangs up the phone and I toss my phone at my bed. I can't stop but just stare at the picture frame sitting on my drawer.

The three of us at middle school graduation. We all had big grins no matter how crooked our teeth looked.

I think Xavier changed the most. He had his head shaved the entirety of middle school. He finally let his hair grow out and finally loved his curly hair.

Tessa learned how to do makeup and her hair. We both lost our baby fat and grew boobs which were the best part for us.

Times were simpler back then.
A/N: Holy crap! So "The shy boy from math class" hit 20k reads already!! What a coincidence that it happens on its spin-off release date! Thank you all for the support and I hope you enjoy this story that will be a hell of a ride:)  Also, I notice that this name has a different pronunciation to many people but I personally pronounce Xavier "Ex-zay-vee-er".

Make sure to add to your library and vote on this chapter for more updates:)