36 | Mannequins

Another rocket split the sky. Finding its target, the missile utterly destroyed the lookout tower at the southern tip of Coldharbour Farm, behind the stables.

A new cluster of shadows filled the sky. They moved towards the island, dipping below the circling birds and skimming the water like a squadron of pelicans.

Erin dropped to the ground, her eyes wide, watching the strange shadows approach. Rubbing the dirt from her face she pushed her broken glasses up her nose, still not convinced about the validity of what swarmed towards her.

Row upon row of mannequins flew towards the island, their feet hoisted above the water, as hundreds of birds airlifted them into battle. Landing like paratroopers, weapons raised, fifty or more battle-hardened mannequins stormed Coldharbour Farm in a deafening frenzy.

The golems and the remaining Redkites met the mannequins head on. The night exploded in a clash of metal and vengeful screams. Blades sliced through the night air. Flaming tree trunks rolled down the hill toward the burning carcass of The Black Peril.

The eastern lookout tower exploded in a ball of flames as another rocket from HMS Fortitude found its target. Erin squealed, crawling for cover, the PennyBombs in her pockets pressing against her skin.

All across the courtyard, mannequins were going down under Eight's sword.

A strange dark vapour swirled around the scarecrow, spitting in numerous directions, grabbing mannequins in a choking embrace. They reminded her of the icy fingers that had reached out to them on The Endless Blue, but these were something different— something darker. The mannequins hung motionless for a moment as the vapour smothered every inch of their bodies, coiling like tentacles, before dropping them to the ground, utterly spent. A terrible rage wailed from the dolls heads in Eight's damaged chest, their detestable eyes glowing vivid red, as she despatched one mannequin after the next.

Eight threw curses at the birds circling above. "Cowards! Cravens!" she barked. "Come down and fight me!"

"She's destroying everything—" Erin whispered to herself, crawling towards the barn through piles of burning Redkites, "—with her dark magic."

Flanking Eight, the golems were creating massive casualties too. Hank's enormous fists smashed the plastic mannequins to pieces, throwing them into the air and tearing them clean in two. As his arms swung back and forth, his mighty fingers scored huge tracks across the flagstones, uprooting and crushing them against his opponents.

Shun darted nimbly through the battle, slipping behind his assailants and taking their heads off with a slim, elegant blade.

Spirals of glimmering white light escaped each mannequin as they fell.

Erin had found her way back to the barn door. Carefully, she retrieved the remaining PennyBombs from her dungarees and started launching them towards the battle. A PennyBomb exploded next to Eight's foot, knocking her off balance. She jumped sideways, finding her feet, an arm covering her boney eye sockets. Another exploded behind the scarecrow. Mannequin's seized the advantage and dealt swift blows against her shoulder and skull.

Erin tossed another PennyBomb towards a clutch of Redkites who had singled out a wounded mannequin. Exploding on impact, Number 85's jersey flared into life, the cap gun explosives ripped through his innards as the motor oil ignited and his gasoline head was shredded into a hundred pieces.

The flames quickly moved to the Redkites and mannequins closest to him, setting off a chain reaction that dissected both 11 and 47.

Erin smiled briefly, but her satisfaction quickly vanished. The rancid aroma of decay foliage evaded her nostrils.