Chapter 4: Joker

The small hover-car hummed as the morning darkness engulfed the city. The streets of Xevl had been cleared for their arrival, but Kairi could already tell the entire Sector was watching down at them. She was still tired from waking up early, where she only had a few minutes to get changed and eat breakfast before a couple of Mark-Twos entered the building. Their parents, along with a few other DYSK residents, had embraced both of them before they left. To the right of her, Hazel sat half asleep, quietly looking out the window. Neither of them had spoken to each other since they had entered the vehicle.

After the broadcast, a small celebration treat was given to just the two of them at DYSK. It was very brief however, consisting of only leftover cake from just treating the entire town the previous night.

"Come on! How about just one sip of alcohol?" Chef Jordan had pleaded after they had finished before being shoved away by Hazel's father.

Kairi forced herself to get up only an hour prior, the presence of the Mark-Two sHARPs waking her up fully. She could've sworn the sHARP currently sitting in the passenger seat was the one she had seen outside the Xevl department store. The one who slaughtered that man and his Politoed. Him.

Hazel's presence had comforted her, and Kairi was happy that she wasn't alone. She had been relieved that they had both been chosen together. At the very least she would know one person competing, leaving only just 98 more strangers.

Building past building they continued to drive. Xevl's Pokémon Center was on the complete opposite side from DYSK. Kairi kept pinching herself to prevent the urge to fall asleep. She also did it to make sure this all wasn't a dream.

Kairi knew they were close as soon as multiple sHARP hover-cars rode alongside them. The bright red and white lights of the building that served as Xevl's Pokémon Center suddenly appeared in front of them.

"Look." Hazel whispered, pointing at the structure's roof.

Kairi looked up to see a massive plane-like craft parked on top.

So that's how we're getting to the capital.

They finally parked just before the entrance, the sHARPs signaling to both of them to get out, which they did. As soon as they shut the door, the hover-car drove past them, another one appearing with other challengers. The Pokémon Center was just like how Kairi remembered it. To the left was the Center's cafe, which was currently closed. Likewise, on the right was the Poké Mart where Pokémon Trainers could buy various medicine and other items. Nurse Joy, like always, sat behind the front counter. She waved at them, pointing to one of the staircases that separated the individual sections of the building into its three distinct parts. Ascending it, Kairi and Hazel went through a door that led them to the roof.

The roof looked a lot larger now that they were actually on it. The enormous transport carrier was parked in the center of it. The craft's rear faced the roof entrance, where it opened to reveal two rows of passenger seats lined along its walls. A metal ramp sat on the roof's flooring leading to the mouth. Already some of the seats were filled with other challengers looking as tired as they were. A single Mark-Three sHARP motioned for both her and Hazel to join them.

They sat together in the corner. The seat was just about comfortable enough to be able to sit in for a few hours before feeling uncomfortable. The other challengers gave them brief glances as they waited for the others. From the interior of the craft, it appeared to be a transport plane for sHARP soldiers during warfare. Multiple racks of Full Restores sat above each seat and a projector for a central holo-screen was installed in the center of the floor.

After a few minutes no new challengers approached. Kairi had counted at least 40 seats where they sat, but only nine of them were filled. All of them besides Kairi and Hazel sat apart from each other.