Chapter Twelve: The Water Knows My Name

_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲

Everybody in Black Hill gravitated towards the lake.

It was like a fulcrum, the center of gravity the town turned around. The Committee of Friends had dedicated their teenage years to feeding the lake. They turned unsuspecting girls into fish food. The people I'd thought my friends were nothing but a facade, a lie I'd been so desperate to hold onto.

I was one of those girls that followed behind Emily, even if she stabbed us in the back. She smiled like the sun, and then you forgot who you were. I'd never known myself in the first place. I wanted to fit in because I knew no other way to be.

"It'll be awesome!" Emily had said. "One in the morning, bring a swimmy and don't talk to that creeper McMahon lady down by the cliffs. She's gone a bit mad."

She could've called me an idiot and I'd have followed her.

I woke up at the edge of the lake. The wet grass had soaked through my pajamas, and my hair fell in limp tangles around my face. The clearing looked the same, with towering pine trees that touched the sky. No flowers grew here, only thick bushes and ferns that lined the edges of the trees. I wrapped my arms around myself, shivering. It wasn't meant to be cold.

Voices sounded in the distance, thundering footsteps crushing branches and trees. They were coming for me.

I struggled onto my hands and knees, wincing at the sharp pain that erupted in my hip. Something in me tugged me towards the lapping water. It sparkled like diamonds in the spring light, whispering promises of freedom. I dipped a finger into it, staring at my reflection.

But it was all wrong. That wasn't me. My face shifted and changed into a pale Korean woman with wide eyes that reminded me of Zayn. Then into a redheaded girl. Then into a woman with skin so dark, it shone blue, on and on, different faces of women over the years staring out at me. All under the water.

"Anna! Anna get back from there!"

Zayn's voice startled me, and I snatched my hand back from the lake. She sprinted into the clearing, one hand gripped in Oliver's, the other holding the Book of Shadows. Something drew me to it, made me want to hold it, and pass it on to the next coven that would use it to feed the lake god. I squeezed my eyes shut and shook the urge from my head.

That wasn't me.

"You aren't supposed to be here," I said over the whispers in the lake. I was wasting time. "Oliver, I told you to stay at home with Mum."

I don't know if they heard me. Zayn kept jogging towards me around the lake. Seconds later the entire investigation force spilled into the clearing. Detective Mulroy spoke into the small black box, his eyes trained on me.

This was it.

As long as I kept avoiding it, the more girls would end up on the surface during my generation. Sooner or later, Zayn would be nothing but a log. Bunyip stroked my brain, twirling fine gossamer threads of thought like a silk net around it.

The surface of the water rippled and out sprung hands. They looked nothing like human ones. Death had stolen the skin from them, leaving pearly white bones that gleamed. We were all the same in the end. Bunyip didn't discriminate.

"Stop, Anna!" Zayn took large strides, reaching a hand out to me.

"Annalise Madigan, you are hereby arrested," Una yelled, flashing her arrest warrant. Laughter bubbled in my chest, manic, warm like a lava flow.

In the clearing, surrounded by trees and the voices of people, I stepped into the lake.

I put my feet together and allowed the boney hands to grip my hair, my neck, the folds of my clothes. They pulled me under.

There's no escaping. Not when the lake calls.

The End

_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲_̲

fun fact: this chapter is exactly 666 words long in the Hemingway Editor. i'm scared y'all.

thank you all so much for reading this little novella. i've never finished something as complete as this if that makes sense, and it's so awesome to see how well-received it was! I hope to see you very soon <3

lots of love,

Mak