Chapter 28 ~ Elliot

Recap: After attempting suicide, Max is in the mental hospital. She tried to contact El, but her mom won't allow it.

Another week had passed, and I still hadn't spoken to El. I missed her more then I've ever missed anything in my life. I cried every night.
On the bright side, my physical therapy was going well; it no longer hurt to walk or sit up. I was now working on other basic movement, things like jumping, bending over, and running.
I still did my regular therapy every day. It was almost as if I'd blocked out what'd happened with Neil, and maybe it was better that way. I still talked about it with Mrs. Thai, and it continued to get easier and easier. Mainly, though, I talked about El. How I missed her. How much fun she was. How funny she was. How cute she was, I wanted to say, but never did. How much I loved her. Without the thought of El, everything else would have been a lot harder to come to peace with.
All I wanted was to see her. That was all. I just wanted to see her. Was that really too much to ask? Apparently the answer to that question was yes, but I had a new plan.
Yesterday, I asked my mom to bring the walkie back. When she refused, I told her that I wasn't going to try and call El. She reluctantly agreed, but she was going to take it home at night, so I wouldn't get any "funny ideas."
So today I just waited. It wasn't lying to her; I didn't plan to contact El. There was no way I could get away with it. But, I could contact Lucas. Of course I'd talk to him for a while, but more importantly, when my mom left the room for food or to go to the bathroom, I could deliver a message. Like a spy or some shit.
My mom walked in around 1:30 today as I was eating my lunch. "Hi," I said, my mouth full. She nodded to me and threw the walkie onto my bed. I smiled eagerly. "Thank you!"
"Yeah yeah. Just no funny business, or I won't bring it back." I nodded, showing that I understood, but keeping my eyes on he radio as I switched to Lucas' channel.
"Lucas? Are you there? This is Max. Over."
"Who's Lucas?" My mother asked, sounding suspicious. I groaned and rolled my eyes.
"He's just a friend, Susan. But don't you think I'm a dyke anyway?" She just sighed, ignoring me. Good enough.
Lucas' voice sounded from the walkie. "Madmax? Dude, are you ok? How are you?! Over."
I grew a bit nervous, as we'd never really made up after our breakup. "I'm... ok. Better. You? Over."
"I'm fine, but why'd you disappear off the earth like that? Over."
They really didn't know? "I'm uh.. in the hospital..? Over."
"Oh, no, I know, but why don't you want any of us to visit? Over."
What? "No, that's my bitch ass mother. Over."
"Maxine Mayfield, if I hear another word like that come out of your mouth I'll throw that thing out the window," my mother snapped at me. I just ignored her, but kept myself in check, because I knew she wasn't lying.
"Will says that El is really hurt. She didn't come to school for the entire week last week. Over."
Tears sprung to my eyes, easily trickling down my cheeks. "I just... later, ok? My mom's still in the room. Over," I whispered.
We talked back and forth for around thirty minutes until my mom got up to use the bathroom. Lucas was talking, but I interrupted him. "Look, Lucas, sorry to interrupt but my mom just left for the bathroom. We have five minutes tops, two minutes at the least. I'm really sorry about our breakup, and I'm sorry for leading you on for so long. I was trying to change myself, and... I'm sorry it had to be you who I used to do that. It wasn't right and I'm really sorry... anyway, would you please, please talk to El for me? Over."
"It's ok. I understand. And I'm sorry for the way I acted. I was a jerk, too. Also, yeah, I'll tell her anything you want. Over."
"Thank you so much Lucas. You're the best. And honestly, it's ok, I kinda deserved what you said. Can you tell El that I miss her and that I wanna talk to her? Tell her that my mom won't let me speak to her. And... and tell her that I love her, ok? Over."
"Got it. Over," he replied coolly, as if I didn't just say what I just said. He probably just thought it was a girl thing.
"And let's come up with a code name for her. Elliot! That's it. So at any time either of us can say, 'Elliot said this,' or 'tell Elliot this.' Does that work? Over."
     "Yeah, sure thing Madmax. I'm sorry your mom won't let you-"
Just as the door opened, I interrupted. "Shhhh! Uh, sorry, I mean, yeah. Over."
     Lucas laughed. "Ok, I gotta go, Max, but I'll tell Elliot what you said. Over."
     "Ok. Thank you so much Lucas. And I miss you too, not just Elliot! Over and out."
     "Who's Elliot?" My mother piped in.
"Oh my god! He's just another friend, Susan. He's new the the A.V. Club. Jeez," I sighed, annoyed. Did she want me to be straight or gay?
Adults are confusing.

Sorry for the shorter chapter(I just edited it and it's not actually as short anymore, but whatever). I hope you enjoyed it regardless. Hey, at least Lucas is back to being bff of the year. He really is tho, like if Elmax did end up being canon, he'd be Max's wingman 100%. Nothing will change my mind 🙄🤚

Also, I couldn't find a good song for this chapter, so you just get a mediocre one. Oopsie.

Right well anyway, I hope you're having a good morning/day/night. Again, feel free to message me anytime. I love reading your comments and/or stories; you guys all seem awesome, and I'd love to get to know you if you wanna get to know me! Fair warning tho, I'll most likely not initiate conversation(unless you ask me to, I guess) because I feel like a nuisance and I'm even awkward through texting. Sorry 😭 Love you tho! 💕

word count: 1104

-eight