I. LITTLE KEIJI

CHAPTER ONE A YEAR LATER

     IT WAS ONE OF THOSE childish, vulgar school brawls Ayako was never usually interested in, but then Watanabe Himari, like the annoying bitch she was, picked on her to no end.

It was like any other day, uneventful and quiet. Ayako sat in the train station downtown amid Thursday evening's harsh, cold weather when Himari stumbled in with her friends with loud, clumsy footsteps.

Before Ayako could look away and turn back to her phone, Himari's gaze was already set on her the way a beast looked at its prey before pouncing. The group crowded around her seat like a bunch of spectators not long after.

This time, Ayako didn't bother to muffle the profanity that left her lips. She shifted on her seat, swallowing down her irritation before turning her head.

"What─" she began, only to be cut short, her eyes narrowing when a palm connected with her face.

Hissing, Ayako finally decided to get a good look at Himari and it was clear on her face that she was mad. Nevertheless, Ayako leaned back on her hands, frowning. Counted to ten in her head.

"What was that for?"

"Don't pull that card with me," Himari scowled, somehow finding frustration at the fact that Ayako wasn't giving her the reaction she wanted. "Leave my boyfriend alone, would you? I know you're trying to get with him."

Ayako arched a brow rather dubiously. "By letting him copy my math homework?"

"Oh, don't give me that shit, Keiji."

"I know I'm rarely nice, but just because I am doesn't mean I have an ulterior motive."

Himari huffed, "And I thought it was bad enough that you go spy on the volleyball team whenever class is over, you weirdo."

"And definitely not because my brother's on the team," Ayako mused. "Completely unrelated."

"You know, I still don't understand how your brother made it," Himari brought up, cutting her off. "A big shot because he's vice captain, sure, but word's getting around that he hasn't been scouted yet." Realizing she must have finally hit a nerve, she smiled smally. "He doesn't have a lot going for him, don't you think?"

The ends of Ayako's lips twitched. She didn't mind getting provoked; she was brought up in a household that taught her how to handle herself, and she was in no way innocent when it came to mocking Akaashi on a daily basis. However, it was a completely different story once it came out of someone else's mouth entirely.

From Watanabe Himari, of all people.

"I don't know." Raising her head, Ayako mocked a smile. "Why don't you try asking your boyfriend when he tries out again for the team this year?"