01: UNWANTED GUEST

HAWKINS, INDIANASEPTEMBER 30TH, 1983"UNWANTED GUEST"

HAWKINS, INDIANA
SEPTEMBER 30TH, 1983
"UNWANTED GUEST"

WHEN RANDALL WRIGHT heard the horrific news that his cousins were going to be staying with him, he contemplated checking himself into a mental asylum

WHEN RANDALL WRIGHT heard the horrific news that his cousins were going to be staying with him, he contemplated checking himself into a mental asylum. Quite frankly, he knew that would be easier than sharing a room with the devil's child, Clayton Valance. Randall only saw his two cousins on special occasions and hoped to keep it that way but luck was never on his side. His father told him that they'd be staying for as long as necessary which meant forever. The news hadn't sat well with the boy from the moment he heard it. In fact, he had even prayed, begging God to reverse the mistake they surely must've made. Then when prayer didn't work, he conspired, trying to think of a way to put an end to the matter before it could happen.

He'd been a good kid- well, good enough. Sure, there was that one time where he set the town's church on fire but it was an accident. How could he have known that moonwalking at the house of God would have such drastic consequences? In all fairness, he was only trying to make his best friend smile after a hard day, he couldn't be blamed for the candles unusual location and he couldn't be at fault for backing into them while the choir sang amazing grace. However, even he himself had to admit, it wasn't his finest moment... in the slightest. Other than that, though, Randall was a self-proclaimed saint so he could only ponder why his father would inflict such a harsh punishment on him.

Even though his father insisted he wasn't in trouble and was simply just helping out family, the teen still had his suspicions. There had to be some sort of sitcom life lesson to be taken from Marvin Wright's actions and Randall was determined to figure it out.

"No offense, pop, but this is such bullshit," the teenage boy began, following his father onto the porch where they awaited the arrival of his cousins and aunt.

Marvin rolled his eyes on instinct. "Language, Randall!" he scolded.

The seventeen-year-old began pacing back and forth, hurriedly trying to formulate a response that would make his father change his mind and put an end to the madness that was soon to begin. Once his cousins arrived, there would be no going back. "One, they're gonna be here forever-"