hour glass

She runs towards me with a bunch of flowers on her right hand. Her lips streched up to her ears while her eyes are nothing but straight lines on her face. She giggles a bit loud as she shouts out a nickname that she has made up on her own for me. As I look up, she smiled wider; her uneven teeth were now showing with traces of a long-term commitment for sweets.

A sigh came out of my mouth, the nickname ringing in my ears. When will I be used to her calling me that? "Ling, I told you not to call me that! My name is Keran!" I scoffed and she seemed to ignore my remarks.

"I have hibiscus!" She exclaims, shoving a handful of red hibiscus to my face. "Aren't they pretty?" A chuckle escapes her lips as she got one flower and put it on my ear.

We lock eyes for a moment and she laughs. "Now jiejie is pretty as well!" I wanted to scoff but there was this thing—I don't know how to explain it but something about that gesture, maybe that sententce caused me to lag for a moment and I can do nothing but smile.

"Hey, your mother will be pissed again if she found out that you're picking flowers in her garden again," I try to warn her but she was always a stubborn kid, she never listens to what the elders say to her.

She waves her hand, "She has plenty of flowers there, she won't find out."

There she goes again, saying that she won't ever get caught but the last few times she told me that, she actually got caught and got dragged into one of her mother's scoldings.

"You always tell me that," I got one hibiscus flower from her hand. It was bright red and it was stunning under the brightness of the sun.

Her eyes follow my hand, probably wondering what will I do with the flower that I took. My hands carefully tucked a few strands of her long, soft hair before placing the flower on her ear. I giggled and so did she.

"But you always seem to get caught!" I pinched her cheeks and her giggles slowly turned into laughter. "Now you're pretty as well!"

Her laughter died down ans she looks at the ground, "Don't lie, I'm not pretty." she says quietly and fiddles with her fingers.

I cupped her face and squished it until her lips form a pout. "Stop saying that! You are truly the prettiest girl I have ever seen!" I say sternly and she smiles a little, regaining a small part of self-esteem.

I examined her carefully. Her long, black hair fell straight up to her waist perfectly like a waterfall. It looks soft to the touch and it really was. The dress that she was wearing looked like that of an ancient princess, with glitters and cute ruffles at the end. Pretty much like what you can see on english television.

She was very, very pretty. Her teeth were uneven and it had marks of cavities nevertheless, she was still beautiful. I am happy around her. So happy.

I can feel a pair of arms wrap around my waist and I exactly knew who they belonged to. "Jie, you always know how to cheer me up." she whispers in my ear and I hug her back.

"But, you really are pretty! Don't believe what people say to you at school, they are blind." She chuckles and pulls away from the hug.

"Let's play a game," she said, quickly recovering from that depressive episode, "Bride and groom!"

She paused for a short moment, "Um, but who will be the groom? We're both girls," a pout was on her lower lip now, realizing that what she had suggested would be impossible now.

I shook my head and clicked my tongue, "So? Then we will both be the brides!" We laughed and she held my hand.

After some time of 'saying our vows', which consisted of us just babbling about useless things such as protecting our dogs and not sneeking out and picking flowers in her mom's garden, there was this part, where you say you take them as your wife, something like that. She said 'I do'—because that was the whole point of this, right?

Then the point where you have to kiss each other came and we didn't know what to do. She looks at me and laugh, "Well, we need to!" she steps closer to me and leans to place a kiss on my cheek.

She looks at me shyly and shrugs. "I guess we're married now,"

July 27, 2002

Dear diary,
I think I found
Someone perfect for me.
She has long,
Black hair
And she is really
Really pretty.
She likes flowers
And a lot of girly things.
We played
Bride and groom
Until the sunset.
I wish I can be with her
For a long time.

--
Can we all agree that baby Keke is the cutest D: my heart just 😭

--Can we all agree that baby Keke is the cutest D: my heart just 😭