The Company

It all began with me scouring buildings in the area for any job interviews in progress. I had discovered an unlatched window. Inside this window, a group interview was taking place. I clambered through and explored a classroom to the left upon my entry, a door opened wide. I scurried along the walls, a spider to a web, hiding in every corner. My gaze was drawn to an unlocked computer, bearing confidential information. I obtained the information hurridly, evading detection. I was promptly discovered by a trainer, belonging to the company and urged to leave the premises. I exited with haste, slipping out of sight. To the left was the ensemble of employers and employees to be. I merged with the flock, out of reach of the scanning predator.

The atmosphere was unbearable, both employer and attendee alike were rife with irritability. The pressure overbearing to the employer caused him to cave. He ushered, everyone present shall be accepted.

The employers escorted us to a secluded room, where all those employed had gathered. I waited in line, only to discover old friends of the past. Friends I had formed during my days of education and work. Friends I thought merely memories. We were speaking for quite some time, revelling in the nostalgia of our youth, hyenas cackling over a cherished meal. We began fighting over our delicious snack, swatting with our sharp claws, a jocular fight for dominance. In the distance a vulture approached, I beckoned my friend to stop but failed. The vulture feasts its eyes upon me, piercing my very soul. I laughed with discomfort, informing the boss of my relation to the man I so viciously coddled.

My vision began to blur, as though I was shifting through time and space itself, only to reanimate within a military cart. It was my first day of employment. The dystopian land stretched far and wide, barren and void of all life. All life except for the flourishing trees, littering the roadside. These are unlike any I have ever laid eyes upon, their roots anchored firmly into the ground, standing 7ft tall. They are ashen in colour, sprouting leaves, liken to sheep gliding over the branches. One feature alone separated these wonders from all others. The ends of the trees flaunted swollen, white and pulsating eyes that were moving erratically only to remain static towards me when the cart approached. They followed the movements of the cart, conscious to our existence.

I was accompanied in the cart by a fellow employee with experience in these plains. I expressed my concern with the companies major violation of ethics rights, to remove all tensions. We stopped at the road, beside a metal chain-linked fence to pick up some items. He broke silence merely to agree with my comment on these violations, staring into the trees. A moose stood tall, three eyes upon its head, skulking and observing.

We stepped back into the cart and traversed further. This area was full of life yet kissed by death. Workers economically slaved away, mining, digging and eviscerating the surrounding rock. More mutated creatures were present, captured and harboured behind cages. This time humans too.