Chapter Nine

I wake up to the sound of my alarm with tears running down my face. I sluggishly get out of bed and put on clothes, then makeup.

I go downstairs and find Sophie eating breakfast. I feel my stomach grumble and put my hand to it, feeling the layer of fat resting on it.

"Want some?" Sophie asks.

"No thanks. I already ate," I fib.

"When?"

"Oh, I came down before you woke up." Lies roll off my tongue so smoothly and quickly.

"Oh okay."

* * *

I walk to the bus stop with Sophie, feeling tired and gross. I get on the bus and sit next to Christian.

"Hey. Good morning," he greets me with a smile.

"Good morning," I reply weakly. I rest my head on his shoulder.

"What's the matter?" He asks concernedly.

"Nothing, I'm just tired, I'm fine," I lie.

* * *

I see Madison in school and she comes over to me. "Nicki! I've been worried about you!"

"So that's why you've been ditching your friends?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You just left Danny to go hang out with... Debby? Seriously?"

"Nicki, I needed to talk to a girl. I like Danny and all, but ya know, he's not a girl."

"There's plenty of girls out there. And you pick Debby Rowth?"

"She's really nice, Nicki."

"No. No, she's not."

In case you didn't know... remember when I said Jacob was kissing a blonde girl? It was Debby. And she'll never let me forget it.

Stella sees me and waves. I tell her to come over. She does, and looks at Madison.

"Oh. So you replaced me. Okay." With that, Madison walks away.

* * *

Before third period, I go to my locker to switch out books. Hands wrap around my waist, and a head is pressed again mine, lips against my ear. "Someone looks like they could use a hug."

I turn around and smile, looking into blue eyes. "Hey Danny."

"Would you like to come to my house today? I think I'll get Christian to come too."

Pros of going to his house: I can keep myself from eating, I can be with Danny and Christian, I can just get out of my house.

Cons: Nothing?

"I'd love to," I reply softly.

He hugs me, smiles, and then walks away.

* * *

At lunch, it's me, Jacob, Christian, Danny, and Stella. Danny and Christian sit on my sides, Stella sits next to Christian, and Jacob next to Danny. I buy a water bottle and sit down, hoping no one says anything.

But I guess it's hard not to notice.

"Is that all you have?" Stella asks. "If you want, you can have some of mine."

I decide to go with the whole 'I have no money and I'm not hungry' story. "I didn't bring enough money for anything else. It's okay, though, I'm not really hungry. I had a snack before," I assure her.