Chapter 4

"Ven!", a voice shouts out and a loud bang comes from my door.

Still feeling drowsy, I sit up on my bed slowly with eyes only half-open.

"Oh... Hey, Mei!~ Good morning!", I say cheerily.

"Good morning! Is there anything you want for breakfast?", Mei asks.

Mei?  "Mei!", I immediately jump of my bed and rush towards her, enveloping her into a tight hug.

"Waaahhh! Mei! I missed you!"

She let out a giggle and hugged me back. "I missed you too."

Mei is my roommate and also my best friend. She recently went on a trip to Japan with her family.

"You have to tell me all about your trip. How was it? What was it like?"

"I will. And I suppose you have lots to tell me too. Ylaine tells me your week has been quite interesting too."

I get all flustered. Ackk... Dang it, Ylaine.

Mei laughs and then pats my head, breaking away from our hug. "I'll go ahead and make breakfast. We'll do some catching up later over breakfast."

I smile and head towards the bathroom to fix myself up.

"Mmmmm! Smells good!", I say as soon as enter the living room. The savory and delicious aroma of bacon and eggs filling the apartment.

"Smells delicious, Mei!", I tell her as I look for milk in the fridge.

"Of course! Since when have I made something bad?"

From the corner of my eye, I see her lips form a smirk.

So cocky as always...

This reminds me of back in Junior High when she'd often send us pictures of her cooking. We always hoped that one day, we'd be able to eat her cooking. Now? Look at me, eating her cooking almost everyday. I consider myself so lucky to have her.

A while later, Mei calls me over to the table saying that it's time to eat. We both sit down at the table with the food in front of us.

"Thank you for the meal!", We say in unison.

"When did you arrive, Mei? How was your trip?", I ask her as I take a bite of bacon.

"Just this morning. The trip?", She paused to drink some orange juice. "The trip was amazing! I got souvenirs for you and Ylaine."

"Yes!", I exclaimed and I did a little fist bump in the air.

"Psh, such a dweeb."

"So?", I said, playfully rolling my eyes at her. A pitiful attempt of me, trying to be sassy.

She laughed. "Ew, Ven! Dont do that, doesnt suit you."

I laughed with her. "Anyway, just tell me about your trip."

From there, she went on and on. Like a train that won't seem to stop anytime soon. Not that I don't like it, I love it actually. It's fun to watch people talk so animatedly about something.

She mentioned how it was her first time seeing and feeling snow. (It snowed in spring over in Japan, if I'm not mistaken) She also told me how beautiful the cherry blossoms looked with the snow, she even showed me some pictures they took.

Next, they went to different shrines. She also told me her experience in an onsen (a japanese hot spring).

"I'm so lucky that they did not have a mixed onsen.", She explained. "I wouldn't even have bothered going there if it was a mixed onsen.". Her face turning red as she thought of the possibility of being in a mixed onsen.