chapter one

"It's only for a month."

Mother's soft words echoed inside my head.

"I'm sure you're going to have lots of fun and before you know it, you're going to be back here with me."

Mom and I were sitting at the dining table. Between the two of us a weak candle light, emphasising the dark circles under our eyes, since we were trying to pack my stuff and haven't really slept last night. It was an hour after sunset and yet we haven't bothered to turn on any light in the house.

A whole month away from home. I had to leave my friends, my bed and car, my favorite coffee shop I go to study, but most importantly I had to leave the person I trust and love more than anyone on this planet, my mother.

I was getting disoriented after being awake for so many hours, the rustle of rain on the window brought me back to my senses.

It has been raining all day and usually I don't mind rain but for some reason I was not really feeling today's weather.

"Maybe I should call Dad and tell him that I'm sick."

"Yusra, you are going to go, no matter how hard you try to talk yourself out of this!"

"Mom, I'm thinking about you. Who is going to take care of you while I'm gone? Who is going to drop by at the hospital and bring you Chinese and coffee? I'm calling Dad, he can go on his business trip on his own."

I took my phone ready to call when Mom softly put her hand on top of mine, stopping me from unlocking my phone.

"Your Dad needs you too, honey."

"Why? He has Jasmine to take care of him."

I see a shift in Mom's gaze. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Jasmine in front of her.

No matter how much she pretends to be alright, I know that deep down she is still not entirely over him. They were happily married for 15 years and then out of nowhere Dad started to change, they didn't get along anymore and decided to get a divorce.

Dad got engaged just two months after he divorced her.

My mother kept telling me that she's fine but I'm not dumb. I can tell that she's hurt and if it wasn't for me, I'm pretty sure she would have turned into a crazy ex wife.

"Dearest, you cannot compare yourself to Jasmine. She might be his fiancé, but you are his only daughter."

"I know that."

"Then you should also know that as much as I need you, he needs you too."

I hate how my mom is right every time. She always knows exactly what to say and how to comfort me, which is why I can never win an argument with her. I've tried many times and failed all of them.

"Besides, when was the last time you two spent more than just a weekend together?"

I had to actually think about it.

"I don't know."

"Exactly, that's why this is a great opportunity to spend some time with your father and I'm not even counting the fact that you'll be doing all of that in Kenya. You always wanted to travel to Africa, see, this is perfect."

"Maybe you're right."

"Also, since Charlie is leaving I'm going to be the only surgeon for now, which means I will be on duty much more than what you're used to. I don't want you to spend your free time alone at home."

I actually never thought about that. Mom spends a lot of nights at the hospital but I'm okay with that. She had been a hard worker as long as I remember and I wholly support her.