Chapter 18

When they rose again, it was to the mid-morning sun. James didn't have to urge Caroline to hasten her breakfast or toilette. She took one look at the clock, murmured "Robert," and was off, like a little general, mustering her troops. They were on their way to Wapping Wall in under an hour.

The subject of her concern greeted them at the door of Chamber House, where he was sweeping the stoop. He looked untroubled by the lack of parental attention, but gratified when Caroline hugged him and inquired as to whether he was hungry. When he admitted he was, Caroline rounded on James as though he'd been starving the boy a-purpose.

"Lads his age are hungry all the time," James protested, but immediately acquiesced when she glared daggers at him. He held up his hands. "We'll feed him, madam. But I need a moment with him first."

While Caroline went to the kitchen to explain the loss of his helper to Brace, James took the boy up to the attic room. He took the letters he'd written from his pocket, opened the safe and placed them within, then locked the safe again. He held out the key to Robert.

When the boy reached for it, he moved it out of reach.

Robert didn't flinch or frown. He just reached for the key again. He's as stubborn as any Delaney, James thought approvingly. James moved it out of his grasp twice more, then finally let Robert catch the key. Once the lad did, he held it firmly. James released it.

"I told you that you'd hear things that might scare you. Soon, you'll hear I've been taken to the Tower. This is part of my plan, but if you're frightened, you may go to Mrs. Grant's."

"I won't be frightened, sir," Robert said quietly.

"Good. The morning after I'm taken, you'll wait until the bells chime nine. Then you'll use that key to open the safe. You'll take out those letters and deliver them. Brace and Miss Bow should be in the house or nearby. I'll take you to Atticus's tavern now so you know how to find him, and I'll point out Mr. Chichester's office as we pass. Mr. Cholmondeley you'll have to find. I'll show you the place he's most likely to be. If he's not there, you'll have to ask after him. Ask among the whores, they'll know."

James didn't ask if Robert knew what a whore was. He's a boy, and curious about sex; he'll know.

"D'you understand me?"

Robert nodded. "Sir, is there no letter for me?"

"Mrs. Grant asked the same thing." James chuckled. "Your job, and hers, are the most important. I'll not entrust them to a letter. She already knows what she must do. You'll spend the day with me and we'll go over each step. You'll have no need for a letter."

"Yes, sir."

"Good," James repeated. "Let's go find a pie shop and get you fed before Mrs. Grant strings me up for starving you. Did Brace not give you food to break your fast?"

The boy shook his head.

"I'll speak to him."

"I couldn't find him this morning, sir. I knocked on his door. He didn't answer."

James shrugged. "Food first." He'd deal with Brace later.

When they re-joined Caroline in the foyer, she, too, reported being unable to find the butler.

"Robert's had no breakfast," James advised her. "There's a pie shop on the way to the Dolphin." Which James knew from staggering past it several times. "I need a word with Atticus; we'll feed Robert on the way."

Caroline drew on her gloves and retied her bonnet. She offered her hand to Robert, who took it with a look of such open adoration that James sighed. At least I need not worry about him resenting his stepmother as I did, he thought. James offered Caroline his elbow and led the little procession along Wapping Wall to the pie seller's.