49

"Please make your way to the middle." the Emperor motioned, his eyes were inviting and lively, which eased the anxious sparks in me.

        With Guan Shu helping me up, I hesitantly stepped to the center. Full attention was on me now. The Empress furrowed her eyebrows as she leaned forward to study the Emperor's face, but he didn't seem to notice her distress. As I kneeled, the Emperor quickly spoke.

        "You may rise," he said, then turning to the Empress and then to the front. "As you all know, Ying Yue has swayed many for her excellent skills—"

        "What are you trying to say, Your Majesty?" the Empress muttered under her breath, the grin she plastered on was not at all convincing as she gripped the arms of her throne tightly. 

        Chang Ying held her breath as we made eye contact. The earrings dangling from her ears were moving as she nodded at me. I chewed my bottom lip as the Empress waited for the response from her husband.

        The Emperor curled his lips into a form of a smile. "I am saying, Ying Yue's courage and excellency should be modelled."

        "Yes, we should all follow Noble Consort Han's integrity." the Empress nodded, scanning the women before looking at me.

        "Yes, Empress." they all said in unison, in hopes of not angering her even more. 

        "Which is why I want to ask you, Empress," the Emperor turned to look at her. They both faced each other and I could already feel the tension. I should've pretended to be sick this morning. I felt like I was homewrecking. "Will you allow her to gain the title of 'Imperial Noble Consort'?"

        I almost gasped at the boldness and the immediacy of the Emperor's words. 'Madame Ying Yue' struck me as something abnormal. Once Dong Mei was out of the picture, Noble Consorts were practically killing each other for the title of 'Imperial Noble Consort.' To replace Dong Mei, was something that I never wanted to do, but I did. I would leave the small chambers and have my own estate to myself. 

        That was hard to grasp. 

        The responsibilities would lengthen, and I'm not ready to reach that level of title. But, I would accept this title in a heartbeat. I tried my best not to anger the Empress, but there was nothing else I could do in a situation like this. If I lay low and suck up to her, maybe she'll leave me to be. 

        Then again, what's the fun in that?

        Dong Mei's death was unimaginable, but would it be too harsh to say I was glad she's gone? I knew she was just as wicked as the Empress. But I didn't hate her as much because she's never gone crazy on me and tried to get me executed. The craving for this title that I've been submerging in my subconscious has finally unleashed, and I was waiting for my benefits like a cat waiting for a bird to approach.

       "I-I... Your Majesty," the Empress stammered, uncomfortable chuckling as she avoided my eyes. "She... She hasn't given you a child yet... Wouldn't it be too soon?"

        "Nonsense," the Emperor shook his head. "She'd be a great role model for the harem, and she's done plenty of duties to prove her worth. Empress, are you opposed to this idea?"

        He stared at her as she struggled to make her choice. She kept the heartful grin on her face but her eyes contradicted herself. The Empress shook her head slowly. I watched her synthetic burst of uncomfortable flattery dim away as she faced me. My apologetic smile when we made eye contact, was genuine. 

        I understood. She deserved to have an apprehensive approach. It would be devastating to lose the 'Empress' title, and I was someone she should be watching closely. My empathy was too strong. I ended up pitying the Empress, which I shouldn't.