𝟳

chapter 7

Klaus sat next to Caroline on his bed.

"I heard that you and the mutt broke up?" Klaus asked, breaking the unbearable silence.

"Yeah, he cheated on me. Like I knew we were distant lately but I didn't think I did something to deserve this. I just don't know what I did! Or maybe it wasn't me! Maybe he's just an awful guy who's stupid and mean and-" Caroline rambled on, tears starting to fall down her cheeks.

Klaus looked hesitant as he moved his warm hands to cup her face, his fingers swiping gingerly across the tears. His stiff body calmed as he watched Caroline melt against his touch.

"If he was still sired to me that bloody wanker wouldn't have ever hurt you," Klaus began, still cradling her face in his grasp, "I wouldn't have allowed him."

"Except when you made him bite me," Caroline said, pulling her face away from him, her eyes a hesitant.

Caroline felt an emptiness when she pulled away from him, she missed the familiar warmth of his arms, the hot air that surrounded his earthy scent. The way he always listened to her.

Everything about Klaus intoxicated Caroline, some in ways she would never allow herself to admit. The curls on his head made her chest heave. The scruff on his cheeks when brushing against hers sent fireworks shooting across her insides. His eyes,  a cool blue that always seemed cold and distant, but when around her they glowed with warmth and tenderness. His scent was earthy and nothing she'd ever smelt before. It was like the wet ground and fresh moss.

Shaking her head Caroline tried desperately to remember the awful things about him.

"I appreciate you saving me Klaus but we're not friends. You made Tyler bite me. You bit me. You were going to sacrifice me! You killed Jenna! God Klaus, you're not a good guy." Caroline felt guilt spread over her bones like oil, it seeped in and made her breathing catch in her throat.

Klaus's eyes immediately turned to ice. Anger was covering the pupils. Sadness burned the iris. And his eyes looked closed off. The walls Caroline hadn't seen in so long where building themselves back up.

"And you are?" Klaus's voice was cold, all the tenderness it once had was removed and replaced with anger, "you let your friends walk all over you and still risk your life for them. They hurt you and you let them. You will always be second best to them and you're content with that. You're content with that small town which has caused you nothing but pain." Klaus stayed still for a moment after speaking, then turned and walked out the door, slamming it as he did.

Caroline watched as the tears slowly built in her eyes.

No. She wouldn't cry. Not for Klaus.

But as much as she willed them not to fall, they did. And all she could think of was she lay limply on the bed was that he was right.

And how much she wished he wasn't.