Chapter 4: Bouef Bourguignon

Koyuki Shinomiya's POV

"Aha, found it! Test Kitchen 3!" I yelled out pointing in the direction of the Kitchen we were supposed to go to.

"Alright! Let's get this bread, Yuki-san!" Yukihira said, grinning like a Cheshire cat.

He stepped forward and burst opened the door, only to be greeted by a very tense atmosphere. I gulped and shrunk back down slightly, shielding myself behind Soma from the menacing glares.
To no one's surprise, that idiot just looked around and greeted everyone.

"Hi, I'm Yukihira Soma, nice to meet you all." He drawled out, waving a greeting to our classmates. His greeting was not returned and the atmosphere only seemed to get even thicker(if that was even possible).

"Yuki-san, what are we supposed to do again?" Yukihira questioned, looking back to face me while he seemed completely oblivious to everyone around him.

I sent him an irritated look before clearing my throat, "you'll immediately be split off into different groups to start your coursework. Today's coursework will be in pairs. The person you're working with will be the person next to your Cooking Station. The Cooking Stations are automatically assigned to you, so find your name card and head over to your respective stations." Hm, seems easy enough.

"Well, good luck, Soma-kun!" I goodbye, skipping off towards my assigned station.
========

"Hi, nice to meet you! I'm Koyuki Shinomiya." I gave my partner a polite smile, while extending my hand out for a handshake.

He glanced at my hand and scoffed, turning around and mumbling to himself, "two-faced bitch. Acting all nice when you're just an egotistical ass."

My ears perked up at his mumbling and I faintly heard my name along with a few colourful words.

Fine, I'll just do it myself, you little sh-

"Attention!"

I scowled as I whipped my head towards the voice, wondering who was interrupting my internal monologue.

An old man, presumably in his 40's strode into the Kitchen, commanding everyone's attention to him as everyone immediately quieted down.

"Good morning, my young apprentis."
The Lecturer said strictly.

"Good morning." Everyone, except Yukihira and I, chanted back.

"You become responsible for creating a delectable dish the moment you step into the kitchen. Neither experience nor status can excuse you from this duty. In my class, any dish that fails to deserve an A rating will automatically receive an E rating. Remember that."

"Hey, who's that?" I asked my partner, spinning a knife that I found casually in one hand. He looked at me in pure, unadulterated annoyance and clicked his tongue. "That's Chapelle-Sensei. Hes notorious at Totsuki for being extremely strict with grades. Last year, he gave E ratings to all 50 students in his class, 18 of whom were expelled as a result of that rating. His nickname is The Chef That Never Smiles." His monotonous voice ringing in my ears.

"Today's menu item is boeuf bourguignon. It can be said to be a staple in French Cuisine, but I'll put the recipe up on the whiteboard anyway. You have two hours to complete this dish. Each team should serve the dish as soon as it's complete. Let us begin, start cooking!" Chapelle-Sensei instructed, sending everyone into an immediate frenzy.

I curiously looked around at their pannicked forms before turning to read the recette on the board.

"Hey transfer student, as long as we follow the recipe on the board to a T, we'll definitely get an A." He said, casting a side glance in my direction.