Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 1

"Someone's found us, Sophie. Mom and I have to leave." Hayley looked across the manicured lawn of the dementia unit. She was in trouble. If anyone overheard her phone call to her sister, it could make her life even more difficult.

"But you've only been in Fort Wayne for three weeks. They can't have found you so quickly."

"I don't know how they found us in Indiana, but they're here. Someone followed me when I drove Mom home from the library."

"Are you sure they were following you? They could have been going in the same direction."

"We were definitely being followed, but that's not the only thing that happened. A man came into the nursing home this afternoon. He wanted to speak to Mom."

She heard her sister's sharp intake of breath. "Did he see her?"

"He didn't get anywhere near her. There are strict rules about who can visit the patients."

"But he knows you're there?"

"Yes."

"This isn't good." Sophie sounded as worried as Hayley was. "Did you find out who he was?"

"He didn't tell the receptionist anything about himself, apart from being a phony long-lost cousin. I tried finding someone who could access the security footage, but it's Sunday. The admin staff won't be here until tomorrow morning."

"I'm sorry," Sophie said. "I shouldn't have said anything about the dietary supplement to my professor."

"You've found something that could help people with Alzheimer's. You had to tell him. It's not your fault he couldn't be trusted. We're okay for now, but I'm not taking any chances. We're leaving tonight."

"Don't leave until tomorrow morning. Someone followed me yesterday. I've spoken to the owner of a security company because I was worried about you. He's sending one of his team to Fort Wayne."

Hayley focused on the vehicles in the parking lot. She wanted to believe Sophie, she really did. But after six weeks of being terrified that someone would find them, she'd had enough.

"I don't know if we've got time to wait for help."

"You're safer in the dementia unit than driving on the road."

"I need to get Mom away from here." Hayley took a deep breath and tried to calm her racing heart. A young woman crossed the parking lot and headed in her direction. "I have to go. I'll text you when I find somewhere safe to stay."

Hayley disconnected the call and walked swiftly across to Angelique. "Were you able to download the security footage?"

"I can't access it, but I've called in a favor from another staff member. He'll be here in an hour."

"Thank you." Hayley hugged Angelique.

"You're welcome, but I don't know why you can't go to the police. You haven't done anything wrong."

"I can't risk anything happening to Mom. The police won't do anything until whoever's following us breaks the law. She could get hurt while I wait for the police to do something."

Angelique walked back with her to the nursing home. "What are you going to do?"

Hayley looked at the building where she thought they'd be safe. "Pack our bags and leave."

* * *

Tank looked at the exterior of Woodview, a nursing home on the outskirts of Fort Wayne. He didn't usually meet clients at nursing homes, but it didn't matter. It was no different from a consulate in Taiwan or a hotel in Kabul. When someone needed help, he was paid to look after them.