Age 4

NOTE: This entire story is in Lan Zhan's Point of View

I've been bullied ever since I was young. This surprises many people, because I'm often known as the role model for people. But ever since my parent's passed away...people often targeted me. They said I wasn't really talented nor smart, and it's just because that Lan Qiren is my uncle that I was so liked. I tried to make friends, I really did. It's just...no one wanted to be friends with me. At age 4, I had one friend; my own brother, Lan Xichen. Whenever I tried to communicate with others, they would all turn their backs on me.

When I was 4, my uncle took me to some city to go shopping for food. I brought my favorite toy, a Chinese Rattle Drum. While we were shopping, I saw this boy that looked about my age. His face was covered in dirt, his clothes were rags, and he looked like he had been living in a horse stable. I saw him ask a man for food, only to get kicked in the face. Tears sprang out of his eyes. It hurt me to see that a little boy was getting hurt like that. I tugged on Uncle's sleeve.

"Uncle, look at that poor boy!" I exclaimed. Uncle looked to where I was pointing, and frowned. "He must be homeless." he said. "Uncle, I just saw him ask for food, and he got kicked by that stingy man! We have a lot of steamed buns. Can I give him one?" Uncle smiled and nodded. "Go ahead." I ran up to the boy. "Are you okay?" I asked him. He looked at me, tears streaming out of his eyes. 

 "I haven't had any real food for 3 days. I've only ate the apple rinds that the horses didn't finish." he sniffed. I took out a steamed bun, and gave it to him. "Here! This is for you." I said, with a smile on my face. He looked at me, his eyes wide and staring at mine. He gently took the bun out of my hands and into his. "Are...are you sure?" I nodded. "Yes!" He smiled. "Thank...thank you!" he exclaimed, biting into the bun. Suddenly, he stopped chewing. "Can I see that thing?" he said, pointing. I looked to see what he was pointing at.

"Oh this? This is a rattle drum. You can play with it for a while." The boy took the toy from my hand. A huge smile burst on his face. Seeing how happy he was made me happy. "You can have it." I suddenly said. Immediately, my mind raced. What am I thinking? That rattle-drum is my favorite toy. But it was too late. The boy heard the words already. "Are you sure you don't mind? That thing looks expensive." he said. I take it back, I want it! I thought in my head. But since Uncle was behind me, instead, I shook my head and pushed it towards him. "No, its yours now. I have a lot of these at home." The boy smiled widely. "You're the nicest person ever!" he exclaimed. I smiled back. It was rare seeing another kid wanting to be friends with me. Suddenly, I realized something important.

"I'm so sorry, I haven't even asked for your name yet!" I exclaimed. The boy span the rattle drum. "My name is Wei Ying," he said. "What about you?" "Lan Zhan." I replied. Suddenly, a man in purple robes swept him up. Alarmed I reached for Wei Ying's hand. "Wei Ying!" I cried. My uncle stepped forward, and looked at the man.

"Jiang Fengmian." he said, bowing. I looked at Uncle in confusion. Isn't Jiang Fengmian the leader of the Jiang Sect of Yunmeng? Uncle continued. "Fengmian, is this Wei Ying your child?" he asked. Jiang Fengmian nodded. "His parents passed away recently. Wei Chang was one of my close friends, as well as one of my best servants. Therefore, Wei Ying is now under my care." Fengmian turned to Wei Ying, and promptly scolded him.

"Wei Ying! Why did you run away again? We have nice food and warm beds." Wei Ying sniffled. "Wanyin still doesn't like me. I can tell. Even if he's talking to me nicely, I don't think he'll ever consider me his brother," He paused for a second. "Besides, I met this nice boy," he said, pointing at me. "See, he even gave me a rattle drum!" Fengmian sighed. "We have plenty of rattle drums at home. Give this one back to Lan Zhan." Wei Ying handed it to me. As I was about to take it back, Uncle nudged me. I sighed. I know what this means.

"No, this rattle drum is for you!" I mustered the words out of my mouth. Wei Ying looked at Jiang Fengmian with his big round eyes. "Can I keep it?" he whispered. Fengmian sighed slightly, but smiled. "If Lan Zhan says so. Lan Qiren, it was nice seeing you again. I hope Cloud Recesses is doing well." He grabbed Wei Ying's hand. "If you don't mind, we'll be going now." Uncle bowed. "It was nice seeing you again as well." As the two walked away, Wei Ying turned around and waved at me.

"Bye Lan Zhan! It was super awesome meeting you! I hope we see each other again soon!" I wasn't sure how to react, because no one had ever said something like that to me before in the past. I timidly waved back. "Bye Wei Ying." I said softly. I doubt he heard me though. 

Soon, Uncle had everything he needed. As we walked towards Cloud Recesses, he squeezed my little hand. "I never saw you talk so much in one day," he said. "It's good that you're making friends. You should make some in Cloud Recesses too." I didn't reply, but instead kept walking and staring ahead. 

If only it was that easy...

Author's Note: Hi! This is going to be quite a different type of WangXian fanfiction. I hope you guys like it!