07

(to Being_devil for being an amazing supporter of aliyah and noah

(to Being_devil for being an amazing supporter of aliyah and noah. lovlovlov)

GUESS WHO GOT up late and poured milk in her oats while being half-dazed after stubbing her toe? That was me. 

After staying up late with Jay, it only made sense that I would be late. Jay, being an asshole that he was, took great pleasure in the fact that he got to sleep in my bed while I had to run around, getting ready. 

Since I would be late if I took a shower, I skipped it, spraying my body with a good amount of deodorant as I pulled on my coat. After I grabbed my phone and slipped into my shoes, I hollered a “bye” to Jay and checked my phone. I nearly dropped it when I realized I had three missed calls from mom. The curse word was quick to leave my mouth. 

Not picking up mom’s call was scary because a) “what else do you do except being on your phone, Ali?” and b) “time is precious”. 

“Good morning, mother,” I greeted her with a fake cheerful voice, one that I didn’t feel. 

“Aliyah West,” mom said my name but it was more of a sigh now. “Please pick up my phones at the right times.” 

Please. That was a first. Huh, my granny was really taking a toll on my mother. 

“I am sorry, Mom,” I said and I genuinely meant it. 

“It’s okay. I get stressed out when you don’t pick up my phone. You are alone and I--” she let out a heavy breath and I imagined her rubbing her forehead as she did so.

“I miss you, you know,” I added quietly. My mom and I were not the sentimental types but since her walls were coming down from being around granny, I felt like I could share this information with her. 

“I know. I miss you too,” mom responded immediately, surprising me by showing how much gran could have an effect on her. 

“I miss Eve too,” I said, walking to West Point and kicking some stones on the sidewalk as I walked. My mind was focused on the soft hum of the birds and the twirl of the wind around me. The weather was nice, making me feel a little better. The hole in my chest didn’t seem to hurt as much and I guessed it could be both because of Mother Nature and my own Mother. 

It felt nice.

“Aw, sis,” Eve’s voice boomed in the phone, tearing my attention from the birds to her voice. “I miss you too,” she mocked, not trying to hide how she was enjoying this.