5.

We continue taking Ops, succeeding with each one, making a name for ourselves. But on one Op it all goes wrong.

It's supposed to be a standard in and out to retrieve intel, Vida, me, Cate, and two other agents on it.

Getting inside was easy enough, there were some PSFs on the outside of our target building but they were easy to dispose of. But we didn't get pay close enough attention. PSFs. They shouldn't be here.

Inside we were looking for a computer, to plant a bug that would cripple their database, the league is trying to put some agents in the camps.

We covered the agent putting in the bug. As he's doing it, the door bursts open, more soldiers. Wait- not soldiers. PSFs. I'd recognize that uniform anywhere.

"We got PSFs converging on our position!" I yell. Vida turns, gun raised.

I raise my hands, commanding fire. I thrust my hands toward the PSFs, lighting the closest ones up.

"Out the backdoor! Let's go! Phoenix, cover the trail with fire," Cate commands through the coms. The rest of our team turns toward the exit while I set the computers alight, covering our tracks.

Before I can completely follow, a deafening noise enters my ears.

I crumple to the ground, unable to move, to think. Pain. It feels like someone is driving razor blades through my brain.

My body convulses as the noise continues, I can't do anything to shield myself from it.

It finally turns off but I'm dazed, my body motionless.

"Jia! Jia!" A voice screams in my ear. Cate's.

Once I finally come out of my daze and gain control back, my hands are being forced together by metal. My mask ripped off and replaced with a leather muzzle. And I can't do a damn thing about it.

At least they made it out. They're gone.

They left me.

But their voices are still buzzing in my ear, my com hasn't been disabled yet.

"Jia! You asshole! You can't leave me like this! Come on!" It's Vida's furious voice coming through the coms. But I know this means she's hurt.

"Jia, I love you so much. Please don't forget. I will find you again. I-" Cate's voice is cut off as one of the PSFs rip the device out of my ear and makes in me watch as they stomp on it.

The PSFs drag me back out of the building and into their van, handcuffing me to the bench. How did they know we'd be here?

"We're going to have a nice, long, ride to Thurmond. Since we have so much time together, you're going to tell us what you and your little friends were doing here," the one immediately in front of me says.

Oh fuck.

Cate and Vida exit the elevator, both of their eyes red.

They lost her. Jia.

After Cate promised she'd never leave the girl, she'd lost her.