KUWONU

ZION'S POV

"Kuwonu, when will you be getting your ACT scores back?" My dad asked from across the table. We were having a family dinner and my dad was doing his 21 question thing again.

Two things annoyed me about that comment: The fact that he called me by HIS last name, which was also mine but....... and the fact that scores came out last summer.

"They been out dad." I say playing with my food.

"Zion. Speak like you know your grammar. Keep that ratchet language outside." He glared at me. I rolled my eyes and took a bite of the dry pasta my mom made.

"Baby I heard you were thinking of joining the
basketball team. I'd think that'd be fun for you." My mom watched me as I chewed my food.

Before I could say anything, "so what was your score?" My dad asks. I rolled my eyes again.

My little brother, who was sitting to the left of me, nudges me as he shows me a meme on his phone. I chuckled and grabbed it to get a closer look. My dad continued to glare waiting for an answer. I hand Elom back his phone.

"Does it matter dad? The answer to that question won't matter if it's not a 36 would it?" I tested him. He sucked the inside of his cheek.

"Just forget I asked Kuwonu.''

There he goes again. I hated when he did this. I hated being a part of him. He makes accepting myself a little bit harder. I hated being a Kuwonu. I want to be nowhere near the man my father is. What made it suck a little bit more, was my mom didn't have much to say about it. She didn't have much to say about anything.

But what made it suck a little less, was my siblings. They made wanting to runaway from this family a dumb idea.

But in the outside life it was different. I was different. I got to choose who I was and what I was good at. I got to cover up the parts of my life I didn't want on display. No one looked at me the way my dad did. At school I was Zion Kuwonu. Not Zion KUWONU.