nine

Maeve was excited for Potions

Maeve was excited for Potions. She was quite talented at it, while Louis was absolute rubbish, and she made sure he knew of that. She liked Professor Slughorn, though he was eccentric and biased to his own House.

Maeve sat down at the same seat she always sat at since the day Louis asked her to sit with him as his partner. Since then, Hugo had been booted away by his own cousin in order to sit with Maeve. Hugo grumbled about it, but Mallory would be there to pat his shoulder and make his worries go away.

Louis walked into the room, immediately spotting Maeve at their joint-desk. That was their desk and everyone in the room knew it. He smirked and nodded to himself with pride. He had no shame.

"What's got you so happy?" Maeve asked as Louis dropped his belongings onto the table and slid on over next to her.

He smiled cheekily, leaning forward to bump his shoulder against her shoulder. "You."

She rolled her eyes, waving her hand in an attempt to shoo him away. "An absolute flirt, you."

"And you always remind me," he retorted.

"Don't you just love me?" she asked, batting her eyelashes ironically.

He leaned forward and copied her action, batting his own eyelashes at her. "Oh - so much."

She snorted and smacked his shoulder lightly. "You, Louis Weasley, are a dork."

"And you're the only woman I'd ever let see," he said, grabbing her hand to give it a good squeeze.

Her smile faltered as she glanced at her hand in his hand and then his eyes that didn't waver in hesitation at all. She cleared her throat and tugged at her hand until he let go. She placed her hand on her lap, looking at the desk in front of her, finding it more interesting than Louis's face.

"Well, I suppose that's a fine gift," she replied.