Chapter 6

Out on the curb, John set off running down the street, keeping an eye out for a cab. Two blocks later, Mycroft texted him, "I see you've decided upon a clique, senseless, impassioned dash across town to deliver a desperately heartfelt confession of love to rectify an unfortunate mistake and beg for a second chance. Too bad for your moment of drama, it's not raining today." John ignorned him.

Eventually he caught a cab and was soon pulling up to Angelo's. He didn't see Sherlock around, but entered to see Angelo. "John Watson!" Angelo spotted him and hurried over with a smile. "And how is the dynamic duo today?"

John smiled, "Alright, thanks. I was just wondering if you'd seen Sherlock come by here earlier."

"Sherlock? Yah. I saw him walking by about half an hour ago. Didn't stop to say hello. But he stood outside the window for a moment, looking out toward that building across the way, y'know? When he left he was heading that way," Angelo pointed down Northumberland St. "I couldn't say where he went after that."

John nodded, "Okay thanks, Angelo." Once he was outside, he paused, aware that he had no idea where to go. He'd only just taken a few steps when his phone rang. "John?" It was Lestrade, "Sherlock just called me from a phone booth. He said something about 'the outsider' and he's gone to Chingford Hall Park. I've looked it up; it's a small park in a suburb to the north. Do you know what he's talking about?"

"Wait, what exactly did he say?" John asked, a terrible feeling of dread pooling in his stomach.

"He said he's going to Chingford Hall Park to intercept 'the outsider' and that I should go arrest one of the women from the shop before she leaves town. Who's the outsider?"

"The murderer." John replied shortly. He hailed a cab. "I'm going to find him. Have that lady arrested and meet us in Chingford."

"Wait, hold on-" John hung up before Lestrade could argue.

"Chingford, as fast as you can. A man's life is in danger!" John told the cabbie. Stupid, stupid, stupid. How could he just go off and confront another murderer? How could I have let him go? At least he called Lestrade this time. Why didn't he call me? Oh, right, he thinks we're not talking. Oh god, if anything happens to him it's all my fault! John sank back in his seat to watch the city roll by, feeling guilty and miserable.