Nineteen

Thomas is back in the apartment the next morning, which is perfect because I was afraid I wouldn't get to say goodbye to him. He makes an ultra-healthy omelet for everyone, because apparently his team's nutritionist has been jumping down his throat about his recent eating habits. He's leaving for a long road trip tonight, a western swing of games that I plan on watching from the comfort of the tower once we get back.

Jacob sits down in the chair beside me at his kitchen table. Thomas sits across from him, digging straight into his omelet. It's filled with spinach and diced tomatoes with not nearly enough cheese in my opinion, but it makes sense considering he's a professional athlete. He must be used to eating like that or he'd be all flabby and winded after a single shift on the ice.
"We're going back to New York today," I say, sticking my fork into my own egg monstrosity. "So I guess this is goodbye and all that."

"Aw, don't look so sad, kid," Jacob says, patting me lightly on the shoulder. "You can always visit."

"Really? You're not just excited to have all of us strangers out of your apartment already?"

"Well, Lake, once someone pukes on your living room floor and you don't even get mad about it, I'm pretty sure that means they're not a stranger anymore," he replies, taking a sip of water. My face heats at the memory. "We're buds now."

"Buds?" I reply, finally managing a small smile.

"And you gotta come down for a game sometime, or wait till we play in New York," Thomas pipes up. "I'll set aside tickets for you guys."

Jacob rolls his eyes, and Jacob leans across the table to shove him. We all laugh.

"I'll give Rowan our numbers since you don't have your phone," Thomas chirps, taking another bite of egg. "Don't be a stranger! I spend hours on planes and buses with too much energy and nothing to do, so you definitely won't be bothering me."

"Alright," I agree, taking a sip of orange juice to hide my smile. I was right when I thought I wouldn't be leaving D.C. without two new friends.

/-/-/

Cecelia and Tony meet us at the apartment a little while later. We leave at around noon. I'm the last out the front door of Jacob's apartment, saying goodbye to the couple once more. I decline a hug Thomas offers me, still not really feeling people aside from Rowan touching me just yet.

We take C-team's jet back to the tower since ours was apparently destroyed by tac agents. Tony flies since Cecelia is still healing from her injuries.

The flight back to New York is short. I leave the tower the minute we touch down on the roof, heading for Derek's apartment where he lives with his counterpart, Alexandra. They've been looking after Bella since I got arrested, and taking care of a three year old for so long with no prior experience couldn't have been easy on the couple. They didn't even have any warning.

Rowan comes with me considering it's his little sister. We take the subway, and I sink into his side when people so much even glance my way. Civilians likely won't realize that the guy who killed the Texas team on the news is me, but that doesn't seem to matter to my brain.

I knock on Derek's door, waiting until I hear footsteps stomping around inside to relax.

"Can I see some ID?" Derek's voice calls back, and I almost grin. Derek's just as cautious as Rowan told him to be when he dropped Bella off.

I fumble around in my pocket before sighing loudly, turning to Rowan.

"Do you have your ID, Row?" I ask. He shoves a hand into the pockets of his jeans and nods, holding it up to the peephole in the door of the apartment.