08- Lucas

The drive to the reservation did not help Lucas' hangover. The cereal, coffee and aspirin helped but there was still a cloudy tightness in his skull  and under his face. He was glad that Andrew chose to drive. It allowed him to press his head against the cold glass and doze through the journey. Tobias had put on some music, piano music by Riopy. It was quiet and soothing.

"We're here", Andrews voice jerked Lucas out of his dosing. His head collided with the glass with a solid thump. Even sniggered at his groan of pain as the car came to a stop in a empty car park. Rubbing his forehead, Lucas looked around. It was a mildly sunny day for forks. The light glinted off the grey waters as the waves gently lapped the beach. It was a sandy beach, Lucas noted, littered with driftwood and logs. A few yards to his right there was a blackened pit a good distance away from the shoreline. It spoke of old bonfires and beach parties. He assumed that those happened when it was warmer, not this chilly spring weather.

They all got out of the car. Tobias and Lucas yawning and stumbling. Andrew stretched up, Spider-Man sweater riding up to expose the skin of his stomach. Even had pulled the strap of his guitar over his pale denim jacket. He had his usual and what Lucas described as his only outfit, of a white tshirt layered with a navy hoodie and a denim jacket over black skinny jeans and boots. He reminded Lucas of a cartoon character, always in the same gear. Tobias, on the other hand, was in a rumpled white shirt and knitted jumper. He looked more like a student going to study history or literature. If it wasn't for his crooked glasses, messy hair and shuffling feet, Lucas may have never had guessed that he was hung over.

The car was parked in a perfect spot just in front of where the sand of the beach started. Even pulled himself up onto the bonnet and crossed his legs. It was clear that he was not wanting to move much. Tobias rolled his neck before scrambling up next to his step brother. He laid back and and dangled his feet over the sedge so that he was staring up at the pale sky.

Lucas chose to sit on the sand in front of the vehicle. The salty air and brisk breeze blew through his fluffy hoodie. It helped with the headache, waking him up slightly. Above him, Even was strumming his guitar. Andrew had pulled a novel out of his pocket and he sat down next to Lucas as he began to read.

"Well, I shook hands with the devil
Down on the south side
And he bought us both a drink
With a pad and a pencil sat by his side
I said, "Tell me what you think". Even sang softly. Lucas like this song. Even had just learnt the chords and must have been eager to play it.

"You won't find him down on Sunset
Or at a party in the hills
At the bottom of the bottle
Or when you're tripping on some pills", Lucas' voice blended softly with Evens. He closed his eyes and leant back against the front of the car, basking in this calm atmosphere.

"Drat", Even cursed as his fingers slipped on a riff. The song broke off as he tried the movement again. Lucas sighed and listened as Even repeated the chord. It sounded better this time and he played it again.

Though it seemed like Even had given up on the song, if his murmured of frustration and huffs were any give away. "Play cave town", Tobias suggested. His voice surprise Lucas, he thought that he had fallen asleep.

"There once was a bittersweet man and they called him lemon boy", Lucas sang as the tune filled the air. He watched the soothing movement of the waves as the music drifted. Andrew was humming along next to him and Even's deep tone harmonised with him. Tobias' leg was kicking in time with the beat.

"Lemon boy and me started to get along together.
I helped him plant his seeds and we mowed the lawn in bad weather
It's actually pretty easy being friends with a bitter boy like him
So I found myself a citrus friend", Even and Lucas sang together.

"The only bitter boy is Tobias", Andrew commented, disturbing the mellow atmosphere. Lucas broke off mid song to snort into his sleeve. A middle finger rose in the air and in the vague direction of where the dark skinned boy was sitting. Even was chuckling over his guitar, stings still humming despite the lack of vocals.

"You try and lead the band. Deal with management and interviews and all that shit", Tobias grumbled.

"We don't have to deal with that for another year", Even pointed out. He had given up on the song and the music had changed. Lucas listened to him experiment with tunes and chords.

Voices off to his right became audible. Andrew looked up and they all turned to see the source of the sound. There was a large group of muscular tanned skinned boys walking across the beach. They were all bare foot as they walked across the shore line. Lucas wondered how they were not cold, clothes only in denim shorts and T-shirt. He felt cold just by looking at them.

The group were obviously part of the native Americans on the reservation. All with ink black hair and deep tanned skin. They seemed to be a mix of ages ranging from 16 to their mid twenties. From what Lucas could see, they were all guys. "Oi Even", he reached up a poked through blonde in the knee. "You closed your mouth yet?" Even's jaw clamped shut quickly. Lucas burst out laughing as a fierce blush coated the youngest's face. He glared down at him.

"What?" Tobias sat up and turned to see what they were all looking at. "Oh it's the guy from last night. Joseph or something. Aww nice, he has buddies". He grinned as the group walked down near the waves. Lucas watched them without interest. They didn't seem the type he's like to be friend with. Too many tribal tattoos and gang vibes. They screamed trouble and 'don't mess with us'.

Andrew had resumed reading his book, interest also lost. Lucas could relate. On the bonnet, Even had picked up a tune again. His fingers strummed the guitar strings in a familiar jumpy tune. Lucas recognised it as My chemical romance. Even, the secret emo. He knew that the blonde loved them just as much as he did.

Someone broke away from the group walking along the shore. The group had passed by the band with nothing more than sidelong glances. Obviously they were not interesting enough. Two boys, who were shoving each other, turned as Even's music drifted through the air. Lucas watched a their faces lit up and both of them began jogging in their direction.

"Do you guys know them?" He asked. Tobias pushed himself into a sitting position again and grimaced.

"Yeah. Andrew and I were talking to them last night", he yawned. Andrew glanced up from his book. He marked the page and shut it as the two boys got increasingly closer. Lucas glanced back at the group. They had stopped and were now all watching them. It was slightly creepy.

That was when Lucas noticed that they were not all guys. There was a girl amongst them. She had black hair cut into a chin length bob and was standing next to the youngest boy. Her slim but tall frame was easily overshadowed by the men around her. She too was in nothing but jean shorts and a tank top, smooth tanned skin warm in the sun. Lucas examined her closed off, cold expression as she looked over. Her gaze met his and she seemed to go stiff. Her face morphed into one of surprise and shock. Lucas felt uncomfortable. He smiled slightly at her before turning away.

The two guys slowed to a stop in front of the band. Both were grinning widely, looking slightly too happy.

"Tobias", The one with a dimple in his chin greeted. Tobias raised an eyebrow and adjusted his glasses. "It is Tobias right? We met last night at the party".

"Oh yeah", Tobias smiled back. Lucas tried not to laugh. Tobias' expression was clearly forced. "You're Jose- Jacob! Jacob right?" He corrected hastily. The boy lit up at the mention of his name.

Next to him, his friend was watching Andrew. He glanced around at all of them. "I'm Embry", he introduced. "May we join you?"

Andrew and Lucas both shrugged. Tobias huffed but Even nodded. "Yeah. We're just hanging out", he said with a smile. He seemed to be the only one who was happy to have Jacob and Embry there. Both of them smiled. Jacob came round to stand next to the car, nearest to Tobias, while Embry seated himself down next to Andrew.

Lucas sighed and pulled his hood over his head. Looking back over, he noticed that the rest of the group was still watching them. The woman was arguing with the boy next to her. Lucas wondered if they were siblings, they looked similar. Her eyes skittered over and their gazes met once again. Lucas felt himself flush slightly at being caught staring and turned away.

He wondered what her name was. Maybe he should ask Jacob and Embry.

Unedited