2

Heather, sat with her daughter in the dining room, along with Dolores. Her daughter was eating cereal while she and the beautiful woman were having little conversations to pass time as they waited for Logan and James.

                    They had spent the night in a motel, and she couldn't sleep cause her heart was in her mouth. Her husband had unintentionally put she and their daughter in danger, she couldn't believe that people had been to her house, killed their family dog and used his blood as ink.

               For two weeks now, she couldn't sleep and had been on the run, although James and her husband worked in the same field, she wanted nothing to do with the man, but had no choice than to call him.

                “Are you okay dear?”. She raised her eyes towards Dolores. “You look like you need a rest”.

              Heather, smiled and nods her head. “Just need to speak with James, real quick”.

               Dolores, nodded and stood up. “Ill go check on them then”.

               Heather, turned to her daughter, who was quietly eating her cereal. Jade, was a powerhouse, but since she walked into their old home and saw flakes (her dog) mutilated, she's been quiet.

             “Sweetie, are you okay?”. Heather asked, running her hand through Jade's curls.

              Jade, nodded not looking at her mother and Heather, sighed wishing her husband were here. They were just trying to deal with the fact that he wasn't going to be around anymore and then Flakes, happened and now she didn't even know what to do anymore.

            Tears welled in her eyes and she blinked them away, as James and Logan, walked in.

                Logan, saw the tears in her eyes and the protective hand she had on the back of the chair, Jade sat on. The woman was tough, he'd give her that, she had evasively managed to get away from madmen with her daughter and from a whole state without making a glitch. She sure was a military brat.

                   “James, can I have a word before you leave”. Heather, stood up and Jade's eyes widened..

             “Grandpa, you're leaving?”. Jade, asked her big brown eyes instantly welling with tears.

               Heather, winced at her daughter's words, turning to James. “Yeah pumpkin, I need to get to work, but I'll visit you everyday OK and Miss Dolores and Logan are going to take good care of you and your mother OK”.

             Jade, shook her head and the first tear fell. “Please don't leave, I'm scared grandpa”.

            Jumping from the chair she ran to James and leached herself to his legs and the tears finally fell from Heather,as she heard her daughter's sob.

              Logan's, felt his heart break and he could hear Dolores, silent sobs from behind him. This was a broken mother and daughter traumatized by the events happening to them and he didn't know what got into him as his protective side kicked in bending down to the little girl's level.

              “Jade, I promise you, your grandpa is going to visit everyday I'll make sure of it”. He bent down to her level, his hand rubbing soothingly on her back. “And I promise you'll never be scared again cause I'll protect you with my life”.

            She raised her head and looked at him with big brown eyes, he was wrong, she looked exactly like her mother, very beautiful.

              Jade, slowly let go of James's leg, and held out her little pinky. “You promise?”.