Chapter 7 - The Note

Eudora pulled out of the dive and landed lightly beside the group of people. Once Kat had stopped feeling like she was going to be sick, she jumped down from Eudora and faced the crowd. Everyone was silent.

"Why are you trying to get into the city?" A young boy stepped forward.

"M'lady, we are ever so hungry. They have had the city entrances closed for a week and we are running out of food. And they say it will be closed the next too" He bowed and stepped back.
Who would do such a horrid thing?
Bad people Kat. Kat turned to the guards.

"So why aren't you letting them in?" They shuffled nervously.

"Kings orders. These dirty little maggots stay out here whilst the riders go to the riders building. Come with me and get away from these disgusting people." A guard held out his hand.

"The only disgusting people here are you and your fellow guards." The guard dropped his hand. The crowd collectively gasped.

"These people are just like you. They may be poorer but I'd bet that most if them are kinder souls than you. Open. The. Gates." The guards paled.

"But miss...the kings orders..."

"What about them?"

"He...he will kill us if...if we disobey them."
Eudora, if we make the guards open the gates they will die but if we do nothing, these people will surely die.
Think about the greater good Kat. Ten guards or one hundred people.
Ugh...

"Open the gates. I...I will speak with the king." The guards nodded and pulled the bolts of the gate open, still looking afraid as they pushed open the gates.
Oh god...what have I gotten myself into.
Do not worry, we will speak with him together.
But I'm scared Eudora.
I will be with you and I will support you.
I hope he does not kill us.
We are to precious for him to kill. I am a Meruthai dragon after all. Kat felt Eudora's anger arise anew when thinking of how they would be used as weapons. Kat climbed onto Eudora's back and as they took off they heard people cheering.

They caught up with the carriages just as they stopped at a beautiful marble cathedral. They landed just before the others got out of their carriages. Thankfully no one saw them land, or at least, did not mention it. Guards in green armour marched out of the cathedral, creating two lines at either side of the entrance. A man with gold in his armour walked towards them.

"I am general Cassius. I will be your physical instructor. I am here to give you a tour of the riders building. Follow me. Oh and Sadia, the king requires your presence." Sadia hurried off as Kat, Kaden and Samuel fell into line behind general Cassius.

The first place they went to was the dining hall. It was a large room with many benches spread out around it. It was completely empty.

"Where is everyone?" Kaden asked

"There  are only four riders so only four eat here."
Sadia must have gotten lonely. I can't imagine being here alone.

Next they moved on to the dragon washrooms. There were six penned out areas with water buckets, brushes, oils and other tools that Kat could not name.

"At the end of every day, bring your dragon here to get washed up. Use the oil once a week, it keeps their scales shiny. Leave on the oil for about five minutes before washing it off." General Cassius looked at our dragons and sniffed.

"They could do with a wash now actually." So Kat brought Eudora to a wash area and took out a large brush.

"Use the sponge, not the brush." Kat blushed and picked up a sponge. She dipped it in water and started scrubbing Eudora's scales. Once done she applied the oil and left it to dry for five minutes.
Man, its hard work to keep you clean. Kat looked at how everyone else was doing. Kaden was just applying the oil whereas Samuel was washing it off. Samuel turned and scowled at her.

"I saw you land outside. Where did you and your stupid dragon get to. Where you just showing your flashy dragon off to the crowds. Your dragon is just a pretty thing to look at, it has no real power, no matter what Sadia says." Eudora growled and roared at him, releasing a huge flame as she did so. Samuel screamed like a girl. Eudora stopped and there was silence. Suddenly Kat started laughing uncontrollably. Kaden soon joined in and even the general started to chuckle.

"What!" Samuel shouted, red with embarrassment.

"You screamed like a little girl!" Kat said between laughs. Samuel looked like he was about to say something but kept his mouth shut for once. Kat controlled herself and started scrubbing off the oil, still chuckling slightly.

General Cassius took them out of the washrooms and led them along a corridor to the right of the dragon wash rooms and stopped outside a large red door.

"Fire dragon rider this is you." Samuel opened the door for his dragon and entered after him. He then slammed it shut. Next the General moved on to an even bigger blue door.

"Water dragon rider." Kaden smiled at Kat before entering his room with Ragnar close behind him. The General walked right to the end of the corridor and stopped outside the very last door. It was huge and golden with jewels encrusted around the sides.

"And for you m'lady." With that the General walked away. Kat took a deep breath and entered her room.

Inside it was amazing. It was huge with a double bed in the centre, a wardrobe, a dressing table, a desk with drawers, a full size mirror and a huge window with a view of the entire city below her, apart from the slums of course. There was a door to the left of the window and through it was a large bathroom. It had a big bath to the right with a toilet and sink to the left. Kat jumped onto the bed and slid under the bed sheets that were made of golden silk. It was a beautiful room but yet, Kat had a feeling of unease inside her as she saw a note stuck to the mirror. She walked over to it. It read:

We know what you did today. It was impressive. We are always looking for new recruits to our cause. What you saw today is only part of what the king does to his people. Meet me in the town square by the fountain at 2 o'clock. Wear a cloak to hide your features so as not to be recognised. We have much to discuss.
       - A

Oooh double update! I felt bad for leaving it for so long so here you go! Another update! Woohoo! If you enjoyed it vote or leave a comment its really appreciated! Thanks guys lav yas xx