Come Back Around

You were set for a busy weekend. The guys were supposed to come by today, in theory at least. And then tomorrow would be a few of the Newgate boys to take care of the shed roof. You doubted you'd get much quiet time but that was okay with you. Living alone in a big house sucked most days but you were adapting. Having people over the next couple days would be helpful though.

You woke up early in the morning, made coffee, and sat out on the front steps. It was going to be a warm day for sure, you could feel it already beginning to heat up even though the day had hardly started. You were smart and dressed for this time of year's changing weather; jeans, tank top, and a button up thrown over it, sleeves rolled up to your elbows. Wire would be proud of you, looking like you were a real part of the town.

You were zoning out, sipping your morning brew and eyeing the too tall grass when the sounds of motorcycles broke you out of your reverie. They were earlier than you thought they'd come but that wasn't exactly a bad thing. It'd be a good idea to get everything done before it got too far into the day and too hot.

Of course you smiled when they all pulled up, clad in leather and jeans, looking as grouchy as ever.

"This all looks like shit." Kid immediately started grumbling as they all walked up, motioning to your yard.

"It does...good thing I hired a bunch of guys to do all this work." You smirked.

"Where do you want us?" Killer asked, ready to get things done.

No one was mentioning anything about last week but you could guess by their relaxed demeanors and the way they talked they were over it. You were more than happy with that. Mission befriend the neighborhood idiots was back in action.

"Um, Kid I'd appreciate it if you could clean out the gutters, I've found a ladder you can use. Heat could I get you to trim the hedges? Killer, if you could mow the lawn? And Wire, I actually bought something the other day and I could use your help putting it together."

And just like that you had the men scattered and attending to your yardwork. Wait till the neighbors saw this.

"So what'd you get?" Wire asked as he eyed the big box sitting by the front steps. He hadn't noticed it until now.

"Porch swing. Never had one and I thought it'd be nice."

"Instead of buying your own real furniture you bought this?" He shook his head, lips twitching into a slight smile as he bent down to open up the box.

"Everything in the house works just fine."

"You aren't bothered it's all basically hand-me-downs?"

"Nothing wrong with secondhand furniture."

"And never were there truer words spoken."

You laughed at that. It was nice to see Wire had a good sense of humor.

For a while, you focused on pulling out pieces of your swing and putting it together. This wasn't something you'd done before and Wire could tell but he let you take the lead, seeing that you wanted to learn. He'd correct you when you needed it and offer a second set of hands. You glanced up every once in a while and noticed his face was slowly scrunching up into something akin to frustration or displeasure.

"Something bothering you?" You asked casually, still focusing on your little project.

"You're not angry at us." He said gruffly.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Why should I be angry about something that happened last week? What's done is done."