2

There was something cold about the light that hit Ilara directly in the face when she woke up in the small chamber. Bleary-eyed and disoriented, she attempted to stand, only to fall slowly in the air as if suspended by an unseen force. She grabbed the ledge she was laying on, only to cut her hand on something sharp. Opening her mouth to speak, she was shocked when saltwater broke past her lips. Yet she did not choke or cough when the briny liquid filled her mouth and lungs. Rather it felt natural, almost right. She gasped once and grabbed her throat with both hands, then it dawned on her that she was breathing. Realizing, rather late, that she was in fact, underwater, Ilara jolted out of her little trance and took in what was around her. Stalagmites reached to her from the domed ceiling, surprisingly smooth iridescent walls glimmering with a lavender hue, brilliant plants waving daintily in the air... no. It wasn't air. The water around her was warm and calming, and her skin barely felt wet at all. A sudden current arose, throwing up her dress and apron. Quickly, she covered her legs and ankles. She was in a strange place, a strange underwater place, and confused beyond reason. But nothing could have prepared her for what she saw next.

"She's turned, just look at her... yes I'm sure. No, she still looks human. It's underway just don't worry about it." Said the voice echoing down the distant hallway in front of Ilara.

The first thing Ilara noticed about the woman entering the room was her bright emerald green hair. Thousands of laughing jade strands danced in the water. Her eyes were kindly, and her perfect lips turned up in a smile. Then, as Ilara's eyes traveled downward, she nearly gasped in shock as she saw that the woman was wearing nothing on her chest except what seemed to be a corset of plants, nearly the same color as her hair. But what really captivated Ilara's attention was the woman's tail. A long, eerily beautiful tail emerged from her hips and ended in a fan shape, where her feet ought to have been. Ilara's mouth shot open in disbelief as the strange fish woman placed her hands on her hips in an authoritative manner.

"Close your mouth this instant," The woman said. "Before a fish swims inside,"

"Um, ma'am, I was wondering if y-you could tell me where I am..." She stuttered, wringing her hands.

"Oh, my dear. Do you not remember what happened before you woke up here?" the fish-woman said in a kind, comforting tone. She touched Ilara on the arm and the memories flooded back.

Her feet and hands were bound tightly with a rope that cut into her skin and bit at her raw flesh. Sailors on the large deck below yelled and spat at her,

"Witch! Bloody witch!" Tears streamed down Ilara's face, the warm droplets hanging off of her nose and mouth in the frigid air. The sun weakly filtered through the crowds, lighting her tears like ice. Teetering on the edge of the plank, she choked on a sob and turned to face the crowd of men in uniform, these men who were supposed to protect her, they were her people. They had sworn an oath...'to protect those who cannot protect themselves and fight for the downtrodden.' Instead, they chanted,

"Kill the witch! Drown her!" A single grinning sailor walked toward her, his torch casting malicious light upon his pockmarked face. She shook her head, silently pleading for someone, anyone to help her, but no help came. And no help would come. He halted in front of her. No way out.

"No one will hear your screams down there," he whispered, eyes flashing. Then, without warning his arms shot forward and pushed her backward. A single, wrenching cry ripped from her lips as she fell back into the dark sea, seeing the sun for the final time before the sea swallowed it whole and her world faded away as she flailed around deepening water, freezing, filled with terror.

Ilara gasped and nearly retched as she entered back into the present, awakening from the memory. The fish woman's piercing gaze cut into her, a blade sharpened to kill.