Prologue

Y/N Lockwood had always wondered what having a soulmate was like. She always wondered if she even had one. She'd seen people all around her find their soulmates. They seemed happy, in love.

Y/N wondered if it was written in the stars for her to have that.

But she didn't know if she had that much of a lucky chance. Her family seemed a little...cursed, and not because of the werewolf gene.

Y/N's mother had died when she was born, her father, Mason Lockwood, had lost his soulmate. Before that, his parents had not had the best streaks with their soulmates, some of them never found them at all.

Tyler's parents were soulmates but they were both dead now and his soulmate hadn't been found yet, if he even had one.

Y/N didn't seem like she had much luck either. But, the voice deep inside of her, her conscious mind that was said to be their soulmate telling her what she knew was in her heart, never ceased to remind her that she wouldn't give up her search for that.

Which brought her to Mystic Falls. Actually, the only reason they had been there in the first place was because of the passing of Tyler's father.

But that was a while ago. She had been one of the werewolves to be caught in the whole hybrid turning event.

Y/N learned to control her shifting before Tyler, changing until it stopped hurting and not having to bow down to Klaus' will.

When Klaus learned of Y/N's freedom from him, she wondered why he hadn't killed her. Though, she didn't ponder on it because it wasn't like she'd rather die.

Her need to know her soulmate only grew as time went on. Tyler had tried to reason with her, trying to lean her away from it because what could happen.

"You don't know what could happen. You know our family's history with soulmates. They either die or you don't find one at all. Don't get caught up in it all. I don't want you to get hurt." He'd tell her.

"You just say this because you haven't found yours yet." Y/N responded. She got sick of when Tyler would tell her this. But she also couldn't help the fact that he could be right.

Y/N didn't want to get hurt but something told her that things weren't going to go the way she planned...