Lord of the Flies: 15 Years Later

Epilogue

Fifteen Years Later

Ralph walked the damp halls of the prison, careful not to look any of the prisoners in the eyes. It wasn’t that he was scared, he would never be afraid of any man ever again since the island 15 years prior. No. No other man could scare him more than he scared himself. He could feel himself growing more and more insane, his temper ruining his already failing marriage to a woman named Alice and his chances of holding a job. No. These people didn’t scare him; he was ashamed of himself because he was just as guilty as they were. He himself was a murderer. He was part of the reason that Simon died; an innocent boy died trying to warn them all of the dangers of continuing down that destructive path.

He walked past a man who lied motionless on the floor and an image of Piggy lying in the dirt dead flashed through his mind. He quickly turned away and swallowed the bile that had risen up in his mouth. Roger was one he could never learn to forgive. Maybe if Roger hadn’t have tried shoving him out of the plane he would have just let Piggy’s murder be counted as one of the many that happened when the boys  lost all reason, but now it was too late. Roger was tried and found guilty of murder and attemptive murder and was put in jail until he was of age. Later he became a gun for hire and got caught after thirty-two murders. No. Ralph wouldn’t forgive him. He wasn’t here to see him today.

Ralph and the jailer stopped at the end of the cold, damp hall. Horrid body filling their nostrils as the jailer placed the key into the hole and turned. The door opened and there was barely enough light in the cell to make out the man sitting crouched in the corner, head in his knees.

“You get ten minute,” said the jailer with his gruff voice. Ralph nodded then turned to the 28-year-old version of Jack Meridew, a former military captain who was released for dishonorable actions and later put in solitary confinement because he went mad and nearly killed an entire building of people because he said he heard The Beast when any and all of them talked. No one knew what that meant when the asked except the survivors of the island who all understood what Jack heard. Ralph heard that voice in the back of his head, getting louder every day.

“Jack,” whispered Ralph, careful not to startle the insane man crouched in the corner.

“What,” said Jack, his raspy voice filling the room.

“How are you today?” asked Ralph, though he knew the answer. It was the same every day.

“I feel like barking orders at a littlun. Or somebody. I hate having to sit here in silence. There isn’t anything to do except sit in my own mind and think about what I did,” he replied. “I can’t handle it. It hurts too much. It’s voice ringing in my head. Barking at me to kill someone. But I can’t. I just can’t.” Ralph stared at his old enemy, pity, sorrow, and understanding in his eyes. He knew how the voice worked.

“I wish I could help, but I can’t do anything. I’m just Ralph. I hear the voice getting louder everyday and I fear that it will take over me and I will end up killing my wife because I suppressed it for such a long while.” Ralph paused. It was hard talking to him, trying to help him realize that most of them suffered the same fate. Samneric were old bachelors because they couldn’t keep attention on just one woman and they were drunkards. The voice wasn’t so violent with them, but it was just as damaging.

“But it won’t happen to you Ralph,” Jack finally said. “You were the only one of us who felt sorrow when Simon died, or when Piggy died. You were the only one who noticed Mulberry face was missing. You over came The Beast back on the island. We are all still fighting a battle we will forever loose. We are inside the cells protecting the people on the streets while we kill ourselves inside. You are on the outside.”

“But I’m not. I’m on the inside with you, every day for three hours talking about how much louder the voice is. I’m talking to a man labeled as insane and put in prison for the rest of his life, asking for help with controlling a voice that has ruin many men’s lives. I don’t talk to a professional about it. I hate crowds. I hate people. I hate that I can’t let myself become into power because I’m scared that I’ll set something off that I couldn’t control and ruin many people’s lives, just like I ruined Simon, Piggy, and the rest of us boy’s lives!” Ralph slid against the wall and sat on the floor, tears welling up in his eyes.  Jack finally looked up and into Ralph’s eyes.

“Yet, you are asking. You are afraid. You are still thinking of others first. You are twenty-seven nearly twenty-eight years old, fifteen years since the island, and you haven’t lost a sense of being able to live in society. Every normal man hates people. It’s in our nature. That voice probably tells you to do terrible things to people, yet you don’t. Roger and I did. Roger still does. I’m trying harder to stop, and most of the time I do. But I can’t ask for help. I realized how horrible I was far too late to do anything about it. But you realized it on the island. You are better than that voice. You control it now.” Both men just stared at each other, Jack’s face soft and worn, Ralph’s sad yet understanding. Ralph smiled at his old enemy, and was grateful that he could come in here and visit Jack.

The door creaked open and the Jailer walked inside. “Times up,” he said and Ralph rose.

“See you tomorrow?” asked Ralph.

“I’ll be here,” replied Jack. They both smiled at each other then Ralph left. Ralph walked down the damp hallway a little better about himself, and had a tiny bit more respect for Jack. Ralph knew Jack was getting better, and he knew that the two of them would be fine. They would conquer the voice, it was just going to take a little more time.