Springfield High

She rummaged through her closet for something to wear. Hoodies of seemingly every color lined the racks. It was good to know that her past self at least had a decent selection of comfortable clothes. 

She picked out a black turtleneck and a pair of jeans. Simple, but stylish. She tied her hair back into a ponytail and put on a pair of white sneakers. She examined her reflection in the mirror. 

Would the other kids would want to be friends with her? 

Would the other kids befriend a mute? 

Her parents told her the night before that they'd enroll her in a new high school to give her a new start. It'd also spare her the trouble of having to answer all the questions her curious classmates might have about her accident. 

She'd agreed. She didn't have anything to lose, seeing as she couldn't remember who her classmates were anyway. 

She was nervous for her first day, though. What would they think of her? She couldn't talk. How was she going to make friends? 

She pressed her hand against the smooth, cold glass of the mirror. It was hard to imagine that the girl staring back at her used to be able to laugh, speak, sing and have friends. All that seemed so distant now.

She stepped back from the mirror. No, she wasn't going to dwell on the past. She was supposed to move on. She promised herself that she would. 

She made her way downstairs. A plate of steaming pancakes was waiting for her on the dining table. "Eat up. You'll need the energy to get you through your first day." Her mother smiled. Clara smiled back as she shoved a forkful of pancakes and maple syrup into her mouth. 

The food was warm and comforting, so unlike the bland hospital food she had yesterday. After she had devoured the stack of pancakes, she slung her backpack over one shoulder and got into the car with her mother in the driver's seat. 

She fiddled nervously with the hem of her top as the car drove down the road to her new school. A thousand thoughts were running through her mind. She was imagining scenario after scenario of everything she predicted would happen when she showed up in her class as the mute new kid. She didn't like the outcome of those scenarios. 

She could feel her heart pounding against her chest as the white school building begin to loom larger from outside her car window. She placed her hand over her chest in an attempt to calm her racing heart. 

You're 16, Clara, not 5. Pull yourself together. She mentally scolded herself.

Her mom turned around to face her. "We're here. Have fun and make lots of friends, okay?" Clara nodded, though she wasn't sure if either of those were possible. 

She stepped out from the car, nervously gripping onto the strap of her backpack as she walked across the school grounds. There were many people gathered in groups, chatting away among themselves. Clara felt a feeling of longing well up in her heart as she watched them. 

She walked up two flights of stairs to her classroom. Despite missing out on two years' worth of classes, the headmistress had allowed her to learn the same syllabus as the other kids her age. But she'd have a lot of catching-up to do. 

She didn't mind, though. As long as she could avoid the humiliation of having to study with kids younger than her, she'd gladly be the dumbest 16-year-old in her class. 

The moment she walked through the open doorway, all activity in the room died down and every head snapped in her direction. She felt vulnerable and naked as she watched the students scan her up and down with curious eyes. 

Her eyes wandered around the room, looking for an empty seat to plop her awkward ass before her nervousness gets the better of her and she ends up running to the nearest bathroom to isolate herself.

Luckily for her, a tall girl with short brown hair got up from her seat and walked up to her. She smiled at Clara, "Are you the new girl?" She asked, like it wasn't obvious enough. Clara nodded.

"What's your name?" 

Clara stuffed her hand into her jean pocket and pulled out her cellphone. She could see the confusion on the other girl's face. 

Clara Ryder. The digital lettering on her phone screen read. "Ah...." the brown-haired girl said, though Clara wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean. 

"I'm Pauline." She introduced with an outstretched hand, which Clara took with a smile. "There's an empty seat over there," she pointed to a desk in the third row. "You can sit there." Clara nodded and walked over to the small wooden desk. 

She sat down on a tan wooden chair behind the matching desk. To her right was a curtained window which overlooked the grassy school field. On her left sat a black-haired boy. 

He turned to look at her, fixing her with his green eyes. "New girl, huh?" He grinned. Clara nodded. "Welcome to Springfield High, then. I'm Kyle." He reached out his hand for her to shake. She grasped it with a grateful smile. 

So far so good. She thought proudly. 

"What's your name?" 

It took everything she had not to roll her eyes. She was getting tired of having to take her phone out every ten seconds just to introduce herself. But this is her life now and always would be so she might as well get used to it. 

Clara Ryder. She typed again. 

"Oh, did you lose your voice?" Kyle asked. 

She shook her head. I'm mute.

"I see...." Kyle said with a nod of understanding. "Well, here's a small piece of advice for you: Watch out for Alexa Williams." He jerked his chin in the direction of a girl sitting in the second row, whose ginger hair was pulled back into a low ponytail. 

"Don't get me wrong, she's not a bad person. She's just really blunt and brutal, especially when she's mad. It's scary the way she argues with her enemies. Otherwise, she's fun and is a really great friend. In short, she'll treat you the way you treat her. As long as you don't piss her off, you're good." 

Thanks for the tips. Clara typed down. 

Kyle shrugged. "No problem. Since you're new here, why don't you join me and my friends during recess?" 

I'd love to. Thank you. Clara thanked him with a bright smile, which the boy returned. 

Just then, a tall woman entered the room. Her lips were stretched into a thin, unsmiling line. She had her head tilted slightly upwards in a very sophisticated manner. Her excellent posture complimented her professional appearance. If she had worn an overflowing gown instead of blouse and pencil skirt, she'd look like an old Victorian dutchess.  

"Good morning class." Her voice was low and calming. Her eyes landed on Clara. "Looks like we have a new student." Once again, everyone's attention was directed towards her. "Come in front and introduce yourself."

She walked up the aisle towards the blackboard. Grabbing a piece of chalk, she began to write:

Hi. My name is Clara Ryder. I'm mute. I hope we can all be good friends.

She cringed as she reread her last sentence. Was it lame to say that? But then again, she was an awkward individual.

"Welcome to Springfield High, Miss Ryder. I am Mrs. Anders, your class teacher who's also in charge of teaching you Geography. I trust that you have all your books?" 

Clara nodded, feeling small under the blonde woman's scrutinizing gaze. 

"Good. You may return to your seat and take out the required books." Even as she was walking back to her desk, Clara felt as though eyes were watching her, judging her every move. 

Or maybe she was just being too sensitive? 

But the moment she sat down in her chair, she realized that she wasn't overthinking at all. 

Because in the second row, with a strand of ginger hair falling loose over her face, was Alexa Williams. 

And she was staring directly at Clara.