13

Blood stained the wooden floors beneath his shoes

Dropping from the tips of his fingers, and so much splattered across his face that when he bit his lip he could taste the substance.

Reagan could've sworn it was in his eyes, but he didn't care. His clothes were just as stained as his skin, the dark red color bringing distaste to the incubus.

He could hear his pulse in his ears, a broken sob falling past his lips as his shoulders caved in.

Reagan's knees gave out from under him, falling beside one of the corpses he had left on the ground.

"I'm sorry," he cried as he stared at the lifeless body. "It was an accident."

He brought his knees to his chest, sobs shaking his body as he squeezed his eyes shut.

"Please, make it stop."

He felt as though he was choking on the blood, the revolting smell becoming too much to ignore.

"Reagan."

The raven haired demon's eyes snapped up in a wide panic, like a wild animal backed into a corner, and met Stefan's calm gaze.

"Hey, it's all right," the vampire held out a hand to the incubus. "It was an accident, you're okay."

"It was an accident," Reagan echoed with a nod. "I didn't mean to hurt anyone."

"I know," Stefan nodded as he knelt in front of him. "Let's get out of here, okay?"

Reagan nodded, letting Stefan pull him to his feet.

Without another word Stefan led him back to the Salvatore house, a tense silence between the two.

He pulled Reagan up to his room, leading him to the bathroom.

Stefan pulled off the bloodstained jacket, throwing it in the floor. He took his time undoing the buttons on the demon's shirt, piling it up with the jacket.

"Come here," Stefan whispered.

Reagan did as told, the Salvatore taking his hands and holding them under the warm water from the sink as he wiped off the coated blood.

"I'll be right back."

Once Stefan was gone Reagan took off the rest of his clothes, looking in the mirror to see blood dripping from his hair.

He turned on the water in the shower, not waiting for it to heat up before he stepped in. The blood washing away stained the white tile a light red, Reagan scratching at his skin to make sure all of it was gone.

Stefan came back in without a word, setting down a shirt and sweatpants near the sink.

The blue eyed man turned off the water, not bothering to dry off and slipping on the dry clothes.

When he came out of the bathroom, he saw Stefan sitting on the edge of his bed, nervously wringing his hands together.

"Okay?" Reagan asked softly, noticing the way Stefan was scowling at the ground.

"Yeah," he stood. "Come here."

The floorboard creaked as Reagan slowly walked over. Once he was close enough Stefan reached out and pulled him into a tight hug, inhaling the scent of the boy who always seemed to smell like vanilla.

The Salvatore pulled back from the hug, taking the demon's face in his hands.

"I love you," the whisper barely reached his ears. Reagan gave a sad smile, holding on to the man's wrists.

Stefan leaned in slowly, pressing his lips to Reagan's softly.

Reagan let out a grunt at the feeling of wood piercing through his back, choking for air as his knees gave out from under him.

"I got you." Stefan wrapped his arms around the falling boy, gently lowering him into the ground. "I got you."

"I-I'm sorry."

Blood began to cover the demon's teeth, his hands reaching for Stefan's face.

"I know."

Tears formed in Stefan's eyes as he looked down at the dying boy, his hands shaking.

"I know."

"I didn't mean to, I didn't."

"It's okay, I've got you. You're okay now."

Reagan shakily reached up, wiping away the tears from Stefan's face.

"Stay with me?"

Stefan nodded vigorously at the request, pulling Reagan closer.

"You're okay now. You can rest now, okay?" Stefan sniffled, forcing a smile as he continued to nod.

"I loved you."

"I know, I know. I love you too."

"Thank you."

An unsettling silence filled the room, Reagan's chest no longer rising and falling while the blood trailed out of his mouth and down his chin. Staining his clothes like they had been once before.

Stefan swallowed his cries, pulling the stake out of the corpse's back and throwing it across the room.

"I'm sorry." The vampire repeated over and over as he held onto the body. "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry."

Deep down he knew the incubus was finally at peace, and it was selfish to wish he was still there.

But as he cried alone, clutching onto the dead body of his lover he couldn't find it within himself to care.

Couldn't find anything in himself except for the overwhelming grief that followed the death of Reagan Graves.