The Final Chapter + Authors Note

A/N - I have been working on this series for over six years and I have grown and changed over this time. I no longer have dedication to this story, but I want to do it justice, and give you all the ending to this story (which I have had written since the beginning.)

Thank you all for your support over the past few years, and wish you all the best! 

-Emily

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stare out at the crowd through the window, watching the chaos unfold. Catching my own reflection in the glass, I release a shaky breath. Revolution comes with a price, I was aware of this as soon as I became wrapped up in all of this nonsense, but never once did I think I would suffer the greatest loss. 

The door behind me opens, and through the reflection I see Haymitch step into the room. 

"Are you ready?" He asks. After a few painful seconds I nod, turning and walking towards him. He places his hand on my back and gives me a solemn smile. 

We both have experienced great loss during the past few weeks. The same loss. 

We tread silently through the corridor, people dipping their head at me as I pass. They think we're on the same level. But we aren't. They lost a symbol, I lost my life. 

As we reach the end of the hall, I feel the tremor of the crowd outside. As the doors open, rays of sun contrast the crowd of mourners below me. I step up the the mic, preparing myself for the worst speech I will ever give. 

"In the past couple of weeks we have all experience great loss. We've lost friends..."

Finnick's breath quickens as he turns to Ash. She reads him quickly, the color draining from her face. 

She keeps repeating no, trying to push past and grab him. He pushes a kiss to the top of her head. 

"Take care of them," And with that, Finnick was gone down the corridor. Echoes of his tortured screams and Ashlynn's solemn sobs swirl a round. 

"We have lost children,"

Tears stream down Ashlynn's face as she clutches Rue's body, singing softly. Rue was young. Too young. 

"And, we have lost partners."

"Ashlynn!" I yell as she rushes towards Prim. 

"You're not supposed to be here!" She screams reaching for the girl. She has just enough time to grab Prim and yank her behind her as the bomb falls. 

My ears begin ringing as smoke fills the air. My lips move, calling for her. People moved slowly through the smoke, as if stuck in time. I take another step forward just as a second bomb falls.

"All these losses were not for nothing," I say finally looking out at the crowd. "These people died for your freedom, for our freedom. Thank you." I turn on my heel and exit the stage, half running half walking past the guards and rebels. 

"Cato!" Haymitch is no doubt following me. I stop when my body crashes, the ringing in my ear returning. I crumple to the floor, not able to move. When Haymitch reaches me I expect a snide remark, or a scolding. Haymitch drops next to me, hugging me. 

"She's gone," I finally say. Finally saying it out loud. Ashlynn is gone. She died risking her life for Prim.

At least that's what people think, what Panem will think. But only a select few know the real truth. 

Ashlynn died when she stepped into the Quarter Quell. All sense of her self died in that arena. She mutated, no longer the girl from District 12, she was the Mockingjay. She was at war with herself, wanting what was best for the rebellion, but also herself. 

"Come on Cato," He pulls me up, pulling me down the hall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stare at my reflection in the glass of the greenhouse. The young man enters, as he has every day this past week.

"Have you come to finish me off now?" I turn to him, his red hair glinting in the small amount of sunlight that trickles through my glass prison.

As usual, he says nothing. The scar on his face was my doing. It causes his eye to squint slightly. 

"How is she?" I ask. This debate is the same everytime. He thinks I want to know where she is to send someone after her. But I can't. For once, I am powerless. I just want to know if the rumors are true. 

We sit in silence once more. The door opens again and guards walk in behind him.

I finally turn around, meeting him with my eyes. 

"Cornelius Snow, your execution awaits you."

I watch the Quarry boy. He finally speaks. When he was young, I had him dragged here. I made him a prisoner, until I had no use for him. I should have killed him. But I didn't. 

"Are you going to be the one to do it?" I ask. He chews on his jaw. The guards push my wheelchair forward. 

The light is blinding. The Boy from 2 and that Haymitch man stand up in the balcony, watching. Carpenter Quarry points a gun at me, but the slight tremble is noticeable. Its not of fear, it's of anger. After a minute that feels like an eternity, he drops the gun to his side. He walks closer till he can lean down in my ear. 

"She's alive. She is alive an free. Ashlynn is free."

With that, he pulls the trigger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hold my niece in my arms. She looks peaceful, happy. I lift my head up, looking towards the meadow of twelve. My cabin is small, and secluded, but it is mine. The only people who know I am here is Carpenter and his little beautiful family, Haymitch, and Effie. 

And after today, so will Cato. 

The vehicle rumbles and echoes in my small cocoon of the forest. I hear Haymitch's voice, Cato's confusion mixing in. When they reach the clearing, Cato freezes. I smile. He doesn't run like the first time, he walks. Slowly, confused. When he reaches me he drops down to my chair. He leans his head against mine, the relieved smile prominent on his face. 

"You're alive." He says quietly. 

"I am."

"People will go crazy when they find out," He says. I smile weakly. Haymitch walks onto the porch, leaning against one of the beams. 

"They won't. The Mockingjay isn't to be caged anymore. She's free. As she was meant to be."