shower cries and goodbye lies

Isabelle had to climb up several flights of stairs before reaching her room. Clothes had scattered her jumbled sheets and carpeted floor. There was makeup littered around a desk in the corner, and her duffle bag lay open spilling more clothing. Isabelle peeled off her damp gear once she had slammed the door more harshly than she would have hoped to express. She didn't want anyone to think she wasn't okay. But then again, she really wasn't, and there didn't seem to be any point in hiding it anymore.

Isabelle grabbed a few articles of clean clothing and hurried into the shower. The water felt good and warm on her back, washing over her now faded runes. Isabelle tried closing her eyes, but every time she did, an image of a skinny boy with curly brown hair falling over his dark brown eyes appeared in her mind, screaming while clutching his heart.

Isabelle's eyes flew open. She couldn't tell if her face was wet with tears or water, but it didn't seem to matter anymore. Simon was gone. Isabelle could no longer hold back the sobs; they came long and choked. Sliding down the wall of the shower, Isabelle sat against the floor of the shower as warm water traced down her body. She hardly noticed it.

Memories flooded through Isabelle's mind faster than she could control. They were memories she had pushed away after they had arrived back in Alicante, but now they would not go away. Memories of a boy who couldn't look away from a girl making a nasty soup. A boy who followed her around to make his best friend jealous. A boy standing in the sunlight despite his fangs. A boy locked helplessly in the basement of the Gard. A boy in a leather jacket drinking blood at a diner at night. A boy drinking demon blood for his best friend, passed out on a rooftop. A boy holding a half-drunk Isabelle in the middle of the night, telling her a cheesy story about space. A boy risking his life in front of an angel in order to receive a device to help a friend he didn't even like. A boy saying goodbye while Isabelle tied her ruby necklace around his throat. A boy standing in the streets Izzy had just walked, surprise in his eyes. A boy slitting his hand and letting blood trace from his palm onto Isabelle's open wound. And finally, a boy standing by a Greater demon, hands over his heart, losing all the recognition in his eyes as Asmodeus sucked the memories from his mind. All gone from Simon, never leaving from Isabelle. 

* * *

Isabelle didn't know how long she had been in the shower, but she suspected it longer than she should have been. Weak from exhaustion and crying, Isabelle shoved her clothing to the end of the bed, and collapsed onto it, crunching what sounded like a piece of paper under her. Rolling over, Isabelle found it was a letter she hadn't noticed before. She opened it and read it quickly, tears streaming down her cheeks once again. The letter read:

Dear Isabelle,

By the time you read this, I will once again be an ordinary mundane just like I was 6 months ago, except I will have no memory of you, Clary, anyone, or anything from the Shadow World. It breaks my heart to think of a world of mine without you in it, but it hurts even more to think about how you will feel in a world without me in it. I hope that doesn't sound too vain, but I know that if you love me half as much as I love you, then a day will not go by that you do not think of me and miss me. I wish I could see you again, but I truthfully believe that even as incredible as you are and as impactful as you have been in my life, Asmodeus will not let me remember any of it. He knows that the memories of a love as strong as the one I have for you will be valuable for him, which means he will be careful not to let me keep it. Izzy, I hope you find someone who can love you like I have loved you, but I somehow doubt I myself will find anyone who can fill that mysterious hole that you will undoubtedly leave in my heart. You are the strongest, bravest, and most selfless woman I have ever met, and I have been incredibly lucky to spend the last few months with you. I will miss telling you about Star Wars and holding you while you fall asleep. I can't wait to see you again, even if it isn't until we're together in Heaven, still I hope one day I will see you again before then. I wait for that day with longing, even if that longing is in my lost memories. You're a heartbreaker, Isabelle Lightwood- but I love you for it.  

With my unforgotten forgotten love, Simon Lewis

* * * 

The words hung in the air as Isabelle stared at the letter in disbelief. Alec knocked lightly on the door. At the sight of Isabelle weeping on the bed, he hurried over to her and clutched her in his arms, knowing that he would never be able to give her the comfort she always got from Simon. Normally, Isabelle would push him away, especially because she hated to show such emotion, but she felt so weak and helpless that all she could do was collapse into Alec's understanding arms. After all, Alec had also lost his lover for a long time, not knowing if he would make it out alive, so he should know exactly how she felt.

 After all, Alec had also lost his lover for a long time, not knowing if he would make it out alive, so he should know exactly how she felt

"Simon," Isabelle choked repeatedly. Just his name over and over again. Simon had been right, Isabelle would never forget about him. Alec held her as she went limp in his arms, dampening his t-shirt with her tears. Isabelle continued to say Simon's name until it was just a mumble in her sleep.