(The Huntress) Anna x Child!Reader (platonic)

Title: Whispers
CW: vivid descriptions of wounds, violence, death

I gaze at the red forest, curiosity growing. Whispers have spoken about the monster that slaughtered people and ate their little girls. About the creature that lurked in the shadows, ready to hunt you until your head ends up on her wall. Those whispers call her the Huntress, a woman of pure darkness, willing to kill anyone that crosses her path.

Those whispers beg me not to go into the woods, but my curiosity screams at me, pleading louder than the wisps of voices. I grab a kitchen knife during dinner, sneaking it into the waistband of my skirt. When the lights go out, I open my window, careful not to wake the girls in the room with me. I grab a flashlight from my nightstand, sucking in a breath. I slide out of the window, gently shutting it behind me.

I leave the orphanage, heading towards the dark forest, the creatures inside calling out to me. I pull my jacket closer, the cold night bitter. I tug my hood over my head as it starts to rain. I step into the woods, flicking my light on. I aim it everywhere, hand gripping my knife. My heart pounds, but my curiosity overwhelms any fear I have.

I hear a hum, a soft, alluring lullaby. I approach the humming, the song growing louder and louder the closer I get. I peer around a tree, stifling a gasp as I lock eyes with a tall woman. She plucks her axe out of a deer's head, gazing at me.

I want to move, but I can't, frozen in fear. I stare up at her as she approaches, almost cautiously. My heart skips a beat as she reaches for me. I squeeze my eyes shut, face hot. This is it, this is where I die.

But she takes my hand, smiling at me. I try to slide my hand out of hers, but her grip is strong, yet still gentle. I reach for my knife, terrified. She catches my movement and grabs my wrist, taking the knife away. She releases my hands, instead grasping my waist and hoisting me into her shoulder.

She slides her axe into the holsters on her belt. She picks up the deer, holding it in her arms, her hand still securing me to her shoulder. I try screaming, but we're so deep in the forest, my voice would never be heard. She strolls to a cabin, still humming that soft song of hers. When we get inside, she sets me down on a sofa. She bends down to relight the dying fire in the fireplace. I stand up and dash for the door, but she runs over and plucks me away, shaking her head.

She puts me back on the couch, grabbing a restraint. I struggle as she binds my hands, tying me to a wooden post. I yell and thrash, crying out. She pats my hair, humming softly. She cuts up the deer, cooking it over the flame. I fear that I'm next, that her axe is going to end up in my chest.

She smiles at me, reaching for a white rabbit mask. Her brown eyes glint with warmth just before she slides the mask on. I press my back against the wall, petrified. She sits beside me, hand stroking my hair. I try to move away, but she holds the restraints, forcing me to stay close.

She says something quietly, her accent heavier than mine. It is all right, I won't hurt you. She speaks in Russian, the words soft. I relax, still wary. She smiles at me, leaving. She heads upstairs for the night, I don't see her again until morning. My stomach growls, reminding me of my hunger. I hold my stomach, looking up at the woman.

"I need food.." I utter in English, but she tilts her head. I understand Russian, but I don't know how to speak it properly. So instead, I pat my stomach, frowning.

"Breakfast?" She asks, still in Russian.

I nod. She grabs something from the fire, a chunk of meat, I realize. She hands it to me, watching as I take it. I bite into it, looking down. She steps back and reaches into a chest, pulling out a few toys. My eyes catch the familiar stuffed bear with a pink bow tie. That teddy belonged to one of my orphanage friends.